Thursday, December 31, 2009

Scrabble Tile Necklaces

Again, this isn't my own idea.  I think I first saw the idea about a year and a half ago.  It's my understanding that it was floating around bloggy world for a while before that.  It's a super cute and super easy idea, and I've actually made some for myself and given it as gifts multiple times.

This year for Christmas, I made some for my friends Laurie and Amanda.

Here are Laurie's
(sorry, there is a little glare)

 and here are Amanda's
 


They are rather simple to make.
(I say "rather simple" but this would depend on your crafting skills.
I guess I should say for me they were "rather" simple!)

You will need:
*scrabble tiles
*scrapbook paper
*small stamps and ink (if you choose)
*mod podge
*diamond glaze
*E6000 glue (or something very strong)
*silver bails

The hardest part is finding just the right corner of the paper to fit onto the small scrabble tiles.  I've seen people make little guides to help them, but I just eye ball it and start cutting.  I'm just that kind of crafter.  I don't have time to be making templates! :)  Anyway, find the paper/design you want and cut your paper to fit your tile.  I stamped initials on a few of the ones above.  I've also stamped a little birdy on ones I've made in the past.  You can stamp or you can let the scrapbook paper be the statement.

Adhere the little piece of scrapbook paper onto the tile using the mod podge.  Do a coat of mod podge on the top as well.  Allow this to fully dry before moving on.

After your tile is dry, cover the top with a nice coat of diamond glaze.  Be careful!  This stuff bubbles!

Let this dry completely.  I usually let them sit over night.  Then adhere the bail to the back of the tile using the E6000 glue.  Again, let this dry completely.

There you have it.  A cute little necklace.  NOTE: The bails come in many different forms.  If you want the kind you can just glue on (as opposed to drilling a hole and attaching them), you may have to hunt for them.  I ended up ordering a pack of bails off etsy along with the diamond glaze.  I've heard that is also hard to find in the craft stores these days.  They sell similar items though, so it's up to you.

ALSO-- I made some of these for my boss, but added a little twist.  I had Little Man do so art work and turned it into necklace pieces.  One piece was just a page he painted and the other piece was his handprint.  I scanned them into my computer, printed them down (in color) to just the right size and followed the above mentioned steps to make a very special gift.  K obviously LOVED this, but it was much more work getting the paper to print off the right size.  Just be warned if you want to try this! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment