Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Painted signs

The thing that got me started on homemade gift this year were all the fun signs I had been seeing.  Of course, I saw them and thought "I can do that".  Most of the signs I saw that I liked were made using vinyl, but I wanted to paint them for a more long last looking.  I thought it would be the perfect gift for my mother-in-law.  They are down to earth type of people who have what they need or go out and get it.  I wanted to give something that had a little meaning to it.  Well, out of that started a homemade gift/crafting frenzie.

This is for Michael's mom and her husband Bob

a different view with the flash off...


Then I saw an idea with an "H" like this, and decided to make one for my mom and her husband Ken

 and another view without the flash...

You can't tell in the picture, but some of the paint is shimmery.

I thought that was going to bit it.
Let's be honest.  That was already a lot of work to paint those by hand.
BUT... I was shopping with my sister for her new house and we were looking at things to put in her entryway.
We had looked at a few signs and then I said, "or I could just make you one".
You should have seen her reaction.
I can't even type it.
She practically jumped out of her skin and said, "Yeah, you could"
Like she couldn't believe I was leaving her out this whole time and she was pleased the idea finally "dawned" on me.

SO... I made her a sign too.

I went with more subtle colors for her.
She wants to paint her entry way and I didn't want my sign to class.
The words are a green and the fancy lettering is a bronze.
The white scrolly stuff was suppose to just be a glaze, but it turned out a little darker.
However, in different light you can't hardly see it, so I just left it.


3 comments:

  1. Cute... love handmade signs. I'm hosting a Power of Paint Party starting late tonight & every Wednesdays... I'd love it if you'd link up your signs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute--and talented. I love the H with the names in between.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! I think I will copy the one with the H and instead of putting our last name at the bottom, will put est. 2000. :)

    ReplyDelete