Saturday, December 26, 2009

Ribbon Wreath (from hell!)

I made my sister three different things this year for Christmas.  She moved into a new house this summer and I have been helping her decorate.  I've given her a few ideas for her entry way.  One of the ideas I gave her was to hang a wreath on her mirror.  She can change it out for the season, or keep a wreath there that fits the decor she's going for.  She liked this idea, so I decided to go ahead and make her a wreath to get started.  I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to make, but I knew I didn't really want greenery.  You can buy wreaths like that everywhere.  I found a ribbon wreath tutorial online and thought it sounded simple enough.

So I bought one styrofoam wreaths and some ribbon.  Originally I had been paying attention to cost of the ribbon.  I didn't want to spend too much on it, since I was making her other things and you can buy a nice wreath for $30 to $35.  However, somewhere along the way (after looking at 50 different spools to try to find what I wanted!), I guess I quit looking at the price.  I found the ribbon I wanted to use and bought a few spools (?) of it.  I got home and started making the thing.  I had used up all the ribbon I had bought and was only a 4th of the way done...oh, and did I mention the budget for it was already spent?  Well, at this point, I was invested.  I went to the store and bought FIVE MORE spools of ribbon.  Yeah.  You guessed it.  It still wasn't covered.  I had to go back and buy two more spools.  Ugh.  This darn wreath ended up costing me a fortune.  I don't really mind so much about how much I spent.  I mean, it is for my wonderful sister. ;)  I'm more annoyed that I spent so much on a wreath.  I could have made something much better if I had only known.  Oh well.  That's the thing with crafting--you have to "live and learn".

I told her that she better hang it up whether she likes it or not and if anyone (i.e. her boyfriend) decides they don't like it, or takes it down... I will personally inflict bodily harm.  I'm just saying....


(This is hanging on my wall.  Maybe I'll get some of it hanging on the mirror so you can see.)

1 comment:

  1. OMG - that is too cute!! Think of all the seasons she can use it for - end of summer, into fall and winter, I'd use it for Christmas! I used so much plaid this year - you can be my "cyber sis" - I just moved about 3 weeks ago and would love a wreath!
    It really does look very pretty ;-)

    Happy New Year to you -

    ReplyDelete