Back up a few weeks from that. I have had this thing on my face that I thought was crazy pregnancy acne. I got weird acne with Olivia, so I thought this was just par for the course. Then as time went on it got dry and wasn't really acne looking. I thought maybe it was eczema. Being the poor "I-pay-out-the-wazoo-for-private-insurance-and-it's-still-crap" person that I am, I decided I'd just wait until my next scheduled OB visit. This was mistake number one.
Unfortunately, it was impetigo and it had spread to Olivia's diaper area. Although it looked nothing alike and we had no idea. It showed up in a pimple form. She'd get one, then the white head would be gone the next day. She never complained. We thought maybe it was from the heat? It finally started clicking that maybe I should get it checked out. I mentioned to Michael that I needed to take her in. That was too little too late.
So fast forward back to when the spot was big and red. I called the pediatrician Monday morning. There was a little bit of a miscommunication about exactly what to call it. I didn't know how to describe it. So they gave me some things to do in the meantime and told me to come in first thing Tuesday morning. By that time it had almost doubled in size and Olivia couldn't even sit.
|Waiting for the doctor|
They sent us on our way with a prescription and directions for care. She said if it didn't look significantly better by the next day to call back. It had basically filled up by late afternoon. So I called first thing in the morning. It was our pediatrician's day off, but she was going to be there for a meeting. We originally saw the nurse practitioner and she wanted the doctor to take a look. So our appointment was at 1:30, when they open up after lunch.
We got to the appointment and both the nurse practitioner and doctor said we would need to head to the hospital. Since Olivia had two doses of antibiotic at that point and it was bigger, harder, and redder than before, it meant that the infection wasn't responding. There were too many "pockets of puss" for them to drain it and she needed an IV. Not exactly what I had in mind for our last few days in Texas.
So I ran home and packed a quick bag. I had no idea we would end up being there three nights! Then I headed to pick Michael up from work early. We went straight to the hospital and got checked in.
She had to get antibiotic through IV every 6 hours around the clock. She also had to have her vitals checked every 4 hours around the clock. The doctor that came in first checked Minnie's vitals and then Olivia's, so she got spoiled and would insist that the nurses listen to Minnie's heartbeat first. :)
So on Thursday morning they had OR come and take a look and both the OR people and the pediatrician attending to us thought that she needed to go into surgery. It wasn't going down as much as they wanted and it was too complicated to just drain on it's own.
They sent us up to OR. She was dancing around and making everyone laugh. Of course, that got her to act even more crazy. It was a really simple procedure. She was in and out in minutes.
They gave her some meds in her IV at first so that she would be able to leave us and not throw a fit. Basically happy juice. :) And boy did she get happy. The anesthesiologist told Michael to hold her. Within in minutes her head was bobbing everywhere and she was laughing and slobbering. Oh, the pre-op nurse, OR nurse and anesthesiologist were all from Ohio originally. How weird and cool is that?
She was in good hands with Michael anyway. I also ran home to get us all a change of clothes and shower items.
Michael had to return to work on Friday since it was his last day in the office. (Plus, they had a surprise party planned for him that I knew about, but he didn't so I had to send him on his way!)
We are still giving her antibiotics three times a day and soaking in baths twice a day. It's healing. Hopefully it's healing properly. There is a little hard spot that worries me. We will be going in for a follow up visit on Tuesday.