Monday, December 21, 2009

Happy Birthday to me!




Yep.  It's true.  Today I turn the big 3-0!  To be honest, I'm not so sure how I feel about it.  For twenty nine years and nine months, I could have cared less about turning 30.  I'm not one of those people that ever cared about the number.  I've never looked my age, so it never really bothered me to be turning another year older.  I still don't think I look my age, so that's not it.  Plus, in my mind I'm still 24.  A few months ago I started thinking about it.  It started to be a little less appealing to me.  I've accomplished a lot in my life, but there is still so more much I'd like to do.  I guess I'm OK with 30, it just makes me a little anxious to get moving on to the next phase of life.  

My twenties were great.  I know most older people looking back don't think so.  I've heard Oprah say things like "nobody knows what they are doing in their 20's".  I've heard people say their life didn't start until 30.  I've also heard how great the 40's are... and these days, even how great the 50's are.

I'm here to tell you that my 20's were great.  I'm a little sad to be leaving them behind... so I decided to take a look back.

My twenties started right in the middle of my college experience.  College, for me, was and still is one of the best times of my life.  Sure, there were a few rough spots, but for the most part it was fabulous.  I made some life long friends during those four years.  I had a blast.  I also graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education.  That's something no one can ever take away from me.  I am very proud of that. 

After that great experience, I picked up and moved all of my belongings to Ohio.  I didn't know one single person in Ohio.  I had never lived on my own before.  I had never paid bills (besides a credit card bill here or there in college).  I had never really cooked.  I had no idea what I was doing.  But I did it.  All by myself.  I also had followed my dreams and became a teacher.  I spent six years of my 20's being one of the best First Grade teachers you'll ever find.  I had done everything I always said I was going to.  By 22, I had accomplished my life's biggest dreams.  That's pretty impressive if you ask me.

One of the best things that happened to me in my 20's was that I met the man of my dreams.  I was very patient.  I never doubted he'd come along.  And he did.  I'm so glad I waited too, because he was (and is) perfect for me.  I single handedly planned my entire wedding and enjoyed every single minute of it.  

I also figured out who I really am.  People have been telling me my whole life who I was.  I even started to believe some of it.  For a while, I even acted the way people told me I was.  But most of those things people told me I was/am aren't really true.  That's actually where my blog got it's name.  There are many layers to me.  Sadly, some of those people who told me who I was, still believe those things to be true today.  Or, they only know the top layer of me.  I'm ok with that.  I know who I am.  I have a handful of amazing people who also know who I am, and who love me for it.  That's enough for me.


Along with finding out who I really am, I've also found out what kind of things make me happy.  Things like crafting, decorating my house, cooking, and reading.  Who knew? :)

I've had a great 20's, but I'm bidding it farewell.  Here I am... entering my 30's.  I can only hope it's as good of a decade as the last.  I can't even imagine what's in store, but here are some of my most basic hopes:
  • Be a home owner and not a condo owner
  • Decorate my new home.  Can't wait!! :)
  • Do lots more crafts
  • Become a mother
  • Be a stay at home mom
  • Continue to enjoy a happy, healthy marriage
  • Travel more
  • Become debt free (hopefully within the next year!)
  • Own an SUV--and hopefully pay cash for it! :)
That's not too much to ask for right?
Here's to the next decade...





***************************************************************

OH... and guess what?  It just so happens this is the 100th post on my blog too!!
 Happy 100!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment