Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Candy Cane and Canvas

Ok.  I apologize ahead of time.  This post is going to be a little lame.  Sorry.  I am just too tired to take pictures of the things I want to blog about, or to come up with something clever to say.  I promise some  good posts are coming in the near future! :)

We haven't done too many Christmas themed art projects, so I decided it was time to do something about that.  Little Man is loving candy canes this year.  When his mom was putting up the tree, he saw a candy cane ornament and started pretending to lick it.  She went out and bought him a few boxes and he eats at least one a day.  So.........we made a candy cane.  It was pretty simple.  I just cut out the shape and colored red where he needed to put the tissue paper.



I didn't make too many stripes because I knew he'd get bored with it.  He tried crumpling up a handful of tissue paper at one time, which didn't work so well either.  He wanted to make the candy cane, but I don't think he was into the method I chose. :)  Turned out cute anyway...  He also observed that it looked like a "J", so we talked about how it was a "J" for baby Jesus. 

Then I had him paint a canvas for his parents as a Christmas gift.  I got a few Christmas type things for him to paint (which we will do soon), but I wanted something that wasn't Christmas related.  K loves his art work and has saved every single piece we've done.  We haven't done anything like this, and I'm sure it's going to get a prominent place to hang!

I had him use a couple of different tools to paint with.  I didn't want it to end up as just one mess of five colors of paint mixed together and looking like a brown blob.  Plus, Little Man loves to use different tools to paint.  He was so into it.  He used a foam paint brush (green), small circle dobber (very pale yellow), thick haired brush (cream), big circle dobber (burgundy), "cheese" shaped sponge (lavender), very small brush (more lavender), and a fork (purple).  I don't know about you, but I'm a fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment