Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

(source)

Another year has come to an end and a new one is about to begin.  Man, I hope 2014 is a good year! :)

There has been a lot going on this past year.  I don't generally do new year's resolutions, because I know that I won't stick with it.  Myself and 90% of America probably have the same issue.  Instead I chose a word.  I had seen it done before, and at the time there was a word that kept being brought to my attention and spoken to my spirit.  The word was journey.

I wrote down a few things I wanted to work on in this year of journey, but I had NO IDEA what kind of journey I would actually be on!

Some of the goals I set out for myself I accomplished.  Some I didn't even come close.  (You don't even want to know the pathetically low number of books I read this year!)  Others are simply going to take more time.  

Then there are the ones that just couldn't happen for various reasons.  Let's face it.  I'm not going to be ending the year with a weight loss. ;)  Actually, I started the year saying that depending on how things go, I might be willing to discuss trying for baby number 2 in January of 2014.  That all changed one random day in May when I woke up and decided I might be OK to go ahead and try.  Two weeks later I was peeing on a stick.  Now, I could potentially have a baby in my arms in January of 2014!

Had you asked me in January of 2013 if moving to Ohio was going to be part of my journey then I would have probably laughed in your face.  Yet here I sit.  The verdict is still out whether we made the right decision there.

Regardless if the journey was one that I planned or not, I certainly was on one.  It has been an enlightening year for me.  I have learned a lot about myself.  I have been able to evaluate relationships and decide what it is I really want out of my life.  There have been some people who have come into my life who have impacted me in a profound way.  There have also been people who have been weeded out of my life.  Sometimes that is necessary too.

I have learned so many lessons as a mom as well.  I continue to learn them daily.  Each day with my child is a gift and the moments are valuable.  Their impact will last a lifetime.  That I know for sure.  Even on my most challenging days, I am thankful to have this time with my daughter and to sow into her life.

I decided about a week ago or so that I wasn't going to do any resolutions this year.  I also didn't really want to pick a word. I just want to be.  Be present.  Be loved.  Be a mom.  Be a wife.  Be a friend.  Be content.  Be a doer.  Be.  So that is what I am going to aim to do.  However, a blog post came across my Facebook news feed multiple times this week. It is written by a man who use to be part of a life group we were in.  I think it's brilliant.  At this point, I am overwhelmed with unpacking, settling into a house, getting things ready for a baby, and then will be having a baby.  I don't know that I want to add anything to my list... but I am going to keep this in mind nonetheless.  I encourage you to give it a read.  It's called The Year of No.

Regardless of your New Year's resolutions or lack thereof, I hope you all had a fantastic holiday season and are set to have an AMAZING 2014! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment