Thursday, January 9, 2014

This and That Thursday


(source)
I have received two automated messages and two email messages from my OB telling me that I need to call and schedule my annual pap.  Umm... I think someone is confused here.  For the absurd amount of money I am paying, you should know that I am pregnant.  I'm in there every 2 weeks for crying out loud.

(source)
 Absurd amounts of money?  That's a pretty good lead into insurance.  Is anyone else banging their head on the wall or have steam coming out of their ears?  We have been trying for MONTHS to figure out what our options are.  We pay private insurance for Olivia and I.  Michael had insurance through his work, but now that he is "self employed" he doesn't have any.  He can go to the VA for non emergency type things.  So what we found out is... for the absolute cheapest option, our monthly premiums will quadruple (to a price we absolutely cannot pay) and that "coverage" is--absolutely nothing is covered until you reach your $6000 deductible per person.  Sounds fantastic, right?  We are considering moving to Sweden...

(source)
Olivia has taken a serious interest in potty training in the last week.  Yes, just weeks before her baby brother is about to arrive. But she is sort of fickle about it.  She likes to talk about it, and sit on the potty, but pretty much refuses to go in the potty.  So now I'm trying to decide if I should just buckle down and do the 3 day method before Logan arrives and hope/pray/cross my fingers that she doesn't regress, OR wait until he's been here a little bit and then try.

Speaking of Logan, I'm a little bit in denial that he could be here so soon.  I don't imagine I will have him as early as I had Olivia, but we are only 2 1/2 weeks away from when she was born!  I think the reason I'm in denial is because my "to do" list is so long.  That's not usually like me.  By this point with Olivia my freezer was stocked, her room was done, and my bag was packed.  I'm just waiting for that pile of money to drop in my lap and then things will get done asap. ;)


(source)
Everyone has been a buzz about the "polar vortex" and having to stay home.  Thankfully, I'm not one that tends to go stir crazy very easily.  Olivia doesn't seem to mind that we haven't left the house in days either.  I'm sure it would be worse if she was older or if she didn't entertain herself as well as she does.  It's helped me be able to get some things done.

One of the things I enjoyed about teaching at a Christian school was being able to form friendships with some great families/people.  There are over a dozen people on my Facebook friends list who once had a kid in my class.  I was visiting with one of those families last week.  I taught two out of three of their children.  The oldest is now a sophomore.  The dad went and picked up his son's girlfriend.  When he got back he came in and was talking to me.  He said that he had told the girlfriend that Luke's first grade teacher was at the house.  He said he told her that I was the person who turned Luke's life around.  Wow!  She said she couldn't believe Luke was ever like how his dad was describing.  He went on to say that Luke's Kindergarten teachers were "scared of him", and that they were really worried about him.  But all the work I did with him made a huge difference and all these years later they see that it was a turning point in their son's life.  How awesome to hear!  It's always nice to hear it from a dad too, because they tend to not be the face you see at school.  Luke was hard.  He challenged me.  He forced me to be creative and to think outside the box.  Thankfully, we both came out better for it.  He still remembers some of my antics to this day. :)  And when his mom asked his sister if she remembered first grade she dreamily said, "Every single moment!".  She brought out her scrapbook that I made her and was still so proud of it 8 years later!  Love it!

(source)
Unfortunately, all I've heard since I've been back (from former co-workers, parents, church members, etc) is that the school is not doing well.  It's down about 150 students from when I left.  Right before Christmas all of the staff were informed they would be getting a 2 1/2 % pay REDUCTION.  Let's be real--they already make next to nothing.  It's sad.  I said 6 years ago when I left that I was "getting off the ship before it sinks".  I think some people thought I was being dramatic.  Sadly, the signs were already there for some of us.  Even though I had some good times as a teacher, and I get to hear encouraging stories from former parents, I'm glad to be done with the politics of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment