Thursday, January 30, 2014

Weekly Doctor's Appointment-38 weeks

*My blood pressure was 118/72

*I gained 2 1/2 pounds--basically the same as what my at home scale said

*Logan's heart beat was in the 150's

*I measured at 39 weeks.  I measured exactly at 37 weeks last week, so this is a little extra.  Once again it has my doctor worrying about a big baby.

*I am still at 3 cm.  She said I might be a smidge more.  My cervix is still thick, but she said that isn't abnormal for a second birth.

*He is still high up, but he did drop a little and she was able to feel his head.  She reiterated that I could try to do some things to try to help gravity move him down.  I have been doing it some, but should do more.

*She said that if I am still pregnant next week, we can start to discuss inductions.  We don't have to do an induction, but we have to discuss the size of the baby.  Of course, that would require a ($350!) ultrasound and even those aren't always accurate for weight measurement.

*I asked about sweeping my membranes instead as a way of trying to get things moving.  She said the thought crossed her mind, but she is a little nervous to do that based on the amount of bleeding I had at the last appointment.

*I have to up my iron intake.  It is still borderline, so she wants me to take 2 doses a day from now until delivery.

*She asked if I felt tired (lack of iron) and I said, "Well, I'm not really sleeping, so I'm always tired."  She said that I should get a back rub or foot massage every night before bed.  I told her that I would pass along the doctor's orders to Michael. :)  Then she said, "Some people think foot massages can put you into pre-term labor, but we don't really need to worry about that at this point."  I told her I would tell Michael that a pedicure needed to be added to the budget ASAP. :)

*I told her that I would like to go ahead and have him this weekend and she said that sounded good to her.  Ha!  If it were only that easy.

I really am hoping that I go into labor on my own.  Preferably sooner rather than later.  I don't want to have to make the induction decision.  I am conflicted and see both sides.  I was fine with an induction for Olivia, because it was a medical necessity. It was a REALLY easy labor and delivery, so I wouldn't be opposed to doing that again.  However, I know that each delivery is different and I'm not guaranteed another easy induction.  But... if we wait and he is big, then we have to worry about him fitting, shoulder dystocia, and possibly ending up in a C-section anyway.  Hopefully it doesn't come to those kind of decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment