Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pinterest Recipes--Breakfast Edition

Now that Michael works from home, we sit down and eat three meals together as a family on a regular basis.  This takes a lot planning,  prep, and clean up on my part.  But, we have to eat and it is nice to sit down and have family time during the day.

Olivia does sleep late.  Thankfully, for now, that means we get to sleep in as well.  Depending on how late, sometimes Michael has to head straight to the office.  There are also days that we all just grab something on the go.  I'm sure most people would be happy with a bowl of cereal, but I can't have milk because of my medication so I tend to over think it.  Although, I'm sure once the baby gets here our breakfasts are going to get really simple!

Regardless, I have recently tried a few recipes from pinterest to try to spice things up a bit.

I saw a recipe for peanut butter banana quesadillas.  I had everything on hand except for the chocolate chips.  I picked them up on our next shopping trip. 
 
 I didn't really measure.  I probably should have, because it ended up being really rich.  It was good.  It was almost like dessert though, so if I make it again I will measure.  It was definitely different than our normal rotation, so that was nice.

Next up, I was looking for an oatmeal recipe.  It is a cheap breakfast that is really good for you.  Plus, it can help with milk supply.  I may be needing that in the near future!  I make Olivia oatmeal often, but Michael and I don't tend to eat it.  I don't think he's a fan, so I was looking for something that looked tasty.  I found this pin for five ways to take oatmeal from blah to ooh la la.
I made the apple pie oatmeal.  It was good.  I made it with regular oats instead of quick oats.  I like to cook oats with almond milk.  I think it cooks easier than with milk, and tends to taste better.  I used a mix of almond and cows milk this time.  It was pretty good, but I think I'll leave the nutmeg off next time.

I don't ever make french toast, but I order stuffed french toast a lot when out for breakfast.  So when I saw this pin, I thought it might be something fun to try.
(source)
Mine didn't turn out so cute. :) Michael isn't a big fan of cream cheese, but he ate them.  Olivia on the other hand, hardly tried them.  She took one teeny tiny lick/bite and proclaimed that she didn't think she liked them.  Add cream cheese to the list of dairy foods that she won't eat.  So I likely won't be making them again, but I thought they tasted alright.




No comments:

Post a Comment