Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What I've learned

I've been Little Man's nanny for a year and a half now.  It has been lots of fun and I really do love my job.  For the past year and a half people have been saying the same thing to me... "It will prepare you for when you have a kid."  Of course, this has been said in different ways, but they all mean the same thing.  Basically they are saying that I will learn how to be a mom by being a nanny.  They are, in essence, implying I don't know what I'm doing now but I'll learn as I go.  I don't get offended by this statement.  It actually makes me laugh.  Do you really think someone would hire me (and pay what they pay) for me to "learn" how to take care of their kid.  I'm pretty sure I was hired because I was highly qualified.  I may not be a parent, but I'm confident I know whats going on.  In fact, some of my mom friends come to me for advice.  One time Nana even said, "I'm so glad you are here to tell them (K and G) what to do.  She's just a first time mom you know."  I said, "But I'm not a mom".  Nana said, "I know, but you know way more!"  Sure, I haven't had any sleepless nights or been a milk machine, but other than that I've done it all.  I became an aunt at the age of 10, which means I've been changing diapers and taking care of kids from the age of ten.  Not only that, but I think some people are just natural moms or have maternal instincts and some don't.  I don't think you become a first grade teacher unless you know, understand, and love kids.  I'm just saying...

I don't think by taking care of Little Man that I've learned anything about being a parent that I didn't already know.  However, I have learned a few tips along the way.  Here are a few things I'll take with me when it's my turn to be a mommy:
  • I've learned that a video monitor is a must.  I know they aren't cheap, but I think they are absolutely worth it.  Little Man is a few weeks away from turning four and we still use it every day.  I love it!
  • I've learned what sippy cups I will not be using because they leak like crazy (see below).  I also figured out what sippy cups I like.

  • I've learned that I don't want to buy my kid a bunk bud with a double bed at the bottom.  You have to be an acrobat to make the bed.
  • I've learned what glider I do not want for the nursery.  Who wants to feel like they are going to fall over every time they sit down?
  • I've learned that I love Sprout TV and if my cable provider doesn't carry it, I will be calling to request it.

  •  I've learned about all sorts of fun things around town that I never would have known about before.  Some of them I may never have learned about if it wasn't for my online nanny group.
  • I've learned what classes are worth it at the rec center and which ones can just be skipped.
  • I've learned what toys I love and what toys my children will never own. :)
  • I've learned scooters on real wood floors is a bad idea...although very fun!
  • I've learned that baby wipes are your best friend and you should have them on hand at all times.



  •  I've learned that if you want to take your kid to those fun play areas in the mall--go before the stores open.  The mall opens early, but most stores don't open until 10.  If you go before the stores open your kids won't be pushed around by big kids or crowded by mobs of kids.
  • I've learned potty training can be done in three days! :)
  • I've learned expensive bedroom furniture chips too.
  • I've learned about fun gadgets that are a must have, like the juice pal

  •  I've learned to choose my play date companions carefully.  Just because you like the mom or nanny doesn't mean the kids will be good for your kid, or you may like the kid but the mom/nanny may not be good.  These things shouldn't be taken lightly.  I'd rather be alone with Little Man than on a bad play date.
  • I've learned that you can have a toddler, a diaper bag, a snack, and your coffee and STILL BE ON TIME.  Imagine that! :)
  • I've learned that the stroller is very, very, very important.  You take it everywhere and use it almost daily.  We *just* stopped using a stroller for Little Man.  When we went places like the zoo or the science museum that had a lot of walking, he liked to have it as a choice.  (And I liked to bring it to stuff my purse and other belongings into!)  I am willing to pay whatever the price is to get the stroller that has what I want.  MY comfort is just as important as my babies.  Who cares if your baby is comfy if you are spilling your coffee all over, or the handles are too high or too short and you end up with all sorts of body aches?  If you are a mess your baby will be a mess.
Just to name a few.......
;)

2 comments:

  1. You're quite lucky, I'd say. I've learned things like that too by being a mom - but sadly, I've had to waste the money on some not so great things to find out what works and what doesn't. I'm a bit jealous! :)

    I'll be in Fort Wayne next weekend (Jan 14-18) if you are able to or want to come up. It'd be nice to see you! :)

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. see you will be better prepared because of all the things you learned! Luckily, I learned some of these beforehand too...like not going crazy on bedroom furniture or livign room furniture for that matter. but yeah the toy thing, some things I think Ryan will love and he doesn't..that's hit or miss..and yes a stroller is a MUST for sure! You will be an AWESOME mom, no doubt about it! Love ya!
    Er~

    ReplyDelete