Thursday, January 21, 2010

Pattern fun

Yesterday I told you about our "goals".  About a year ago I had set "learning patterns" as one of our goals.  Little Man wasn't really getting it.  If I showed him a yellow/green/yellow/green pattern, he inevitably would want to add a new color... like I left them out.  I tried to explain that if there was no red in my pattern, then red wasn't to be added.  He just did not get it.  He is a very smart boy, but his brain just was not ready to compute patterns (age 2 1/2 to 3).  Like I said, that's ok.  I tried (and tried again).  He got exposure nonetheless, but I didn't press it.  We ended that six months without accomplishing that goal.  We stepped away from patterns for the next set of goals (the last six months), but have added it to our newest list.

Guess what?  He gets it!  He pretty much got it the first time I showed it to him.  He just needed to walk away, have a few light bulb moments, and now the goal is practically accomplished in the first week.

First, we started out using pattern blocks

 

Then, to make it a little more fun, we broke out the candy.
(I did this last time around too, and it still didn't work.)


He was doing so good I even broke out an AAB pattern...and he rocked it!



Then, to keep things relevant, I broke out the Star Wars toys!
We even did an ABC pattern... 
C'mon, who doesn't want to come up with a "Storm trooper, Droid, Gun" pattern?? :)

 Relevance is everything! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment