Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Setting Goals



One of the reasons I was hired to be Little Man's nanny was that I was a teacher.  He was 2 and a half when I started, and his parents thought it was time his learning got kicked into high gear.  (Not the over the top kind where the parents prep their child for Harvard at 3, but the kind where they go from hardly anything to having all sorts of things introduced to them.)  I was just the person for the job.

I spent the first month just getting to know Little Man and his routines and schedule.  K and G never asked me for a list of what I was going to be doing, but trusted that I was teaching him age appropriate things.  Being the teacher and the list person that I am, I decided we needed some goals.  This wasn't just because I wanted to add a list to my collection, but I felt it would benefit all involved.  With K and G knowing what I was doing, they were working on the same things.  It also helped remind me what I was suppose to be doing.  I have an amazing memory, but even I referred to my list every now and then just to make sure I was on track.  I recommend everyone do this--whether you are a stay at home mom, nanny, working parent, or childcare provider.  Your child will benefit immensely.

Now don't go thinking I was a freak about it.  I wasn't.  There is a big difference between being a nanny and being a teacher, and I wanted to make sure the balance was still there.  I don't schedule our days out down to the minute, although we have a pretty good flow each day.  We don't sit down and "learn" or work on something every day, but we do most.  Some days may be spent watching TV, going to our activity and playing.  Then the next day may be spent doing five things off of our list of goals and no TV.  It's very flexible.  Our goals are set for six months.  I try to make sure that when that six months is up, we've accomplished what I set out to accomplish.  Now this too is flexible.  Your child has to be ready to learn.  There is no point in forcing a 2 year old to learn his letters if he isn't ready.  For what?  Just to say he learned them when he was 2??  It doesn't mean he is going to read faster.  You will do more damage trying to force something, then to just let it all flow naturally.  (That doesn't mean just wait until your child goes to school and make the teacher do the work!!!!)

Every six months I send K and G a "goals" email.  It always lists the goals from the previous six months and explains where we are at with each goal.  Then I list things I have observed (good or bad), or name other things we may have been working on that weren't on the official goals list.  Then I let them know what the next goals list will be.  (The email is literally a book!!)  This was never asked of me, so obviously they are more than appreciative.  I think it has helped all of us, but Little Man especially.

Here are some examples of what we do... it's not all about the educational side of things either.  (These are sort of in order, and range from age 2 1/2 to present--almost 4).  This is by no means and exhaustive list.  I've skipped some things, but you get the point.

  • Learn ABC song and recognize capital letters
  • count to 10 and recognize numbers
  • Read every day
  • Introduce rhymes
  • sort objects (first by color, then by shape and size)
  • Strengthen fine motor skills by doing arts and crafts
  • Strengthen gross motor skills by jumping, hopping, balancing, throwing, and climbing on jungle gyms
  • Name and recognize basic shapes
  • Share, take turns, and understand space relation (i.e. personal space)
  • Use manners-please, thank you, ask for something instead of tell me to get it
  • Recognize patterns
  • Lace objects (fine motor)
  • Complete basic puzzles
  • "write" (didn't know how to at the time, but good pre-writing practice)
  • Use "I" instead of "my"
  • Do imaginative play such as dress up, play with puppets
  • Be potty trained
  • Play board games (or other types of games), follow the rules, and be a good sport
  • Follow multiple step directions
  • Write name
  • Know own first and last name
  • Know parents first and last name
  • Color in the lines
  • Cut on the line
  • Identify name in print and spell name correctly
  • Know home phone number
  • Know to call 911 for emergencies and know what an "emergency" is
  • Know birthday
  • Learn lowercase letters
  • Match capital with lowercase letters
  • Know letter sounds
  • Learn beginning sounds and match words with same beginning sounds
  • Understand Concepts of print (including left to right, picture vs. print, and predicting)
  • Know the difference between a non-letter and letter, and a letter and a word
  • Dress and undress self
  • Conquer zippers, buttons and snaps
  • Have a basic understanding of the calendar including days of the week, night/day, morning/night, and yesterday/today/tomorrow
  • Form sets of objects
  • Understand number to object coorelation
  • Journal (for prewriting and thought process purposes--doesn't really know how to write yet)
  • Do age appropriate workbooks that include things such as alike vs. different, writing letters and numbers, opposites, matching, and more!
Of course we work on other things like putting our shoes away, putting dirty clothes in the laundry, picking up our toys, being a good friend, listening the first time, and so much more.  Little Man has also learned the difference between a good choice and a bad choice.  He knows that "good choices make good results" and "bad choices make bad results".  (Only he says 'desults'!:)

If you don't have a list of goals for your child (no matter the age), I suggest you come up with one.  Take a peek at it every month or so and make sure you are on track!  Your child can only benefit from this!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm a list person too, believe it or not! I would have to start making a list, I have goals in my head, but writing them out will make me work harder at achieving them!

    I also agree about the forcing thing, there is no point in forcing your kid to learn everything all at once if they aren't ready. It doesn't make them any smarter in the long run...I think parents do it for bragging rights, but really who cares?!

    You're doing a great job w/ Little Man!

    ReplyDelete