Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sophie Kinsella Book Review

I've mentioned before that I like to listen to books on CD on my way to and from work.  I have my favorite authors that I like to get from the library, but sometimes there aren't any books available that I know for sure I'd like.  Yes, I know I could put some books on reserve, but that's just a little too much work for me! :)

So a few months back I picked up two Sophie Kinsella books on CD.  I didn't know much about the books.  I didn't even know what order they went in.  I only knew that people had raved about her books, and (of course) her book Confessions of a Shopaholic had been turned into a movie.  I figured it would be right up my alley.

I picked up


AND



Ok, I realize this probably isn't going to be the most popular of opinions, but I am NOT a fan!

First, there was far too much swearing for my liking.  I hate that.  Especially listening to it.

Second, the girl is a maniac.  Becky (the main character) is a compulsive buyer and a compulsive liar.

The books almost gave me a panic attack.  Seriously.  I know part of this is because I am a type A rule follower, but I just wanted her to STOP.  I kept listening though, because by that point I was invested.  (There have been times when I have NOT listened to an entire book because of excessive swearing.  These books didn't have quite that much swearing, but enough to bother me.)

Some of the story line was good and interesting, and I can see why it is attractive to some girls.  I understand that it isn't reality, but Becky kept digging herself farther and farther into trouble.  I try to avoid trouble at all costs.  I guess I just couldn't relate.

I actually was at the library a little after listening to these and there was another book from the series on CD.  I was almost going to get it and then said to myself, "Why would you want to drive to and from work in that anxiety ridden state again?"  So I passed.

I realize this post is all opinion.  I also didn't give a summary on purpose.  I'm sure if you wanted a summary of the book you could read the back of the cover or find a great one online.  The point of this post isn't to give a summary, but to share that my review of the book(s).  My review is to just pass on it.  There are so many other good books out there that won't make you crazy! :)  Again... just my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I totally agree! I love recorded books, but can't stand the bad language, and characters like that!

    ReplyDelete