Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Weight Watchers low down



So I really don't want this to become a Weight Watchers blog, but I figured since I was giving points for things like my recipes and some of my "good finds" I better explain.  I became a member of WW online over a year ago.  I did it for a couple of months, lost 17 pounds, and then gave up around the holidays.  I've spent this last year eating pretty good.  But here's the thing, you can eat TOO MUCH healthy food.  As stupid as that sounds, I think it took me a long time to realize that.  Even if I am eating good for me foods, I could still be taking in too many calories.  I like WW because you can eat whatever you want.  You just have to stay in your allotted points for the day.  I am not signing up for WW again, but I am going to "sort of " follow the program.  It just helps me know that I am eating the right portions.

I wanted to explain the points to you, so when I say a meal is 5 or 7 points, you know exactly what that means.  It breaks down like this...

1. Gender:
Female- score 2
Male- score 8
A nursing mom- score 12

2. How old are you?
17-26- score 4
27-37- score 3
38-47- score 2
48-58- score 1
over 58- score 0

3. What do you weigh?
Enter the first two digits of your weight in pounds.
(for example, if you weight 199, you will add 19 to your score)

4. How tall are you?
Under 5’1- score 0
5’1-5’10- score 1
Over 5’10- score 2

5. How do you spend most of your day?
Sitting down? score 0
Occasionally sitting? score 2
Walking most of the time? score 4
Doing physically hard work most of the time? score 6

Now add them all together and that’s your daily total.  Obviously, when you drop weight, your points drop.  So if you are at 199 like the example, your points added to the total were 19.  When you drop down to 189 your points will drop a point because your 19 just went to 18.  Make sense?

On top of those points, you get 35 extra points to use a week.  You can divide them out and eat 5 extra points a day, use all 35 in one sitting, have a day where you don't count, or use them how you wish. 

You are suppose to use all your daily allotted points.  By not eating all your points, you will sabotage your weight loss.  I've heard different things about the 35 points--some people use all of them, some people don't see success unless they only use some of them, and some don't use them at all.  REMEMBER--whatever you are eating now and training your body to do is what you will have to do in maintenance. 

Points are found using the calories, fat grams and fiber grams in a serving of an item.  Generally speaking, 50 points is one point.  The higher the fat grams, the higher the points.  The higher the fiber, the lower the points.  The fiber caps out at 4 grams.  I use this on line calculator to help me calculate my points for new items.

You are suppose to get in your 8 glasses of water, 5 fruits and veggies, 2 servings of dairy, and exercise.

So now you know.  Any questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment