We didn't really have a plan for the Super Bowl (since we know no one), but I thought it'd be fun to make a little snack. Back when I was teaching I taught an after school cooking program for kids. It was an extra curricular thing that the kids paid for (and was extra income for me). I taught teaching techniques and we made a recipe. The kids got to take home recipes and try them at home. One thing we made was called Mini Soft Pretzels with Honey-Mustard Dip. I thought they would be perfect for the Super Bowl.
The recipe came out of this cookbook
Sorry about the picture! My kitchen has really bright track lighting and I've yet to figure out how to take pictures without some crazy shadow!
Here's what you need for the pretzels
1 pkg (10 oz) refrigerated pizza crust
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp caraway seeds or sesame seeds
Here's what you need for the honey-mustard dip
3/4 cup mayonnaise
3 tbsp dijon mustard
3 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 425*.
- Unroll pizza crust onto a flat cutting board. (I skipped this part and just put it right on the cookie sheet.)
- Using a pizza cutter, cut dough lengthwise into 18 1/2 inch wide strips. I decided to make mini pretzels, so I cut mine a little different.
It ripped a little on the way out of the package.
4. Form each strip into pretzels. Again--I didn't follow the directions exactly. I decided I didn't want to mess with trying to make crazy looking pretzels, so I just made twists.
5. In a small bowl, combine egg and salt; brush onto dough using a pastry brush. Sprinkle with seeds. (I didn't use seeds, but I did sprinkle half of them with sea salt.)
6. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
7. For honey mustard dip, whisk together all ingredients until well blended. Hint: don't buy cheap dijon mustard. I think it changes the taste.
8. Serve with warm pretzels. We ended up going over to my bosses house to watch the game on their projection screen in their home theater. I took these with us.