Monday, September 30, 2013

Our Weekend


Technically it wasn't the weekend yet, but it's still worth mentioning.  My friend Laurie got FREE tickets to a Columbus Blue Jackets game, which is the local NHL team.  I had never been to one before.  Hockey isn't exactly my favorite sport, but any live sporting event is pretty enjoyable for me.  Plus, a free night out with a good friend?  Sign me up!  So on Thursday night I had a fun night out with lots of chatting, some cheering, and a yummy treat.  Unfortunately, we lost in the last 40 seconds.  The good thing is it was a preseason game, so it probably doesn't matter as much for the record books.

Friday was spent running all sorts of errands.  Thankfully, our evening was pretty low key.

We had a busy day on Saturday, though.
It started out at a local high school football game.  Both of these beauties (brother and sister) were in my first grade class.  They both claim, to this day, that I am still their favorite teacher. Their mom reminds me of this often. :)  Gabe is a sophomore, and is the starting quarterback for the JV team.  He also plays back up for varsity and has got in at the end of the game the past few weeks.  We opted for the Saturday morning game because of Olivia though.

One of the great things about teaching at a Christian school, is that the relationships formed last much longer and tend to go much deeper.  I probably have a dozen or more former moms on my Facebook page.  It is so fun to watch my little guys grow up into amazing teenagers.  My first group of first graders are seniors this year!!!  It's also so refreshing to see families who are just doing it right.  It is encouraging to me as a new mom. Dessy (a freshman) doesn't usually attend the games, but came because she knew I'd be there.

I love, love, love this family! This isn't the first activity of theirs I have attended, and I am sure it won't be the last.  It was fun to show up and have such a warm welcome.  Both sets of grandparents were there and they all knew exactly who I was.  They went on my field trips and attended activities in my classroom.  One of the aunts knew me too and was giving me an update on her son (who was not in my class, but whom I once tutored.)  I may not ever be in a formal classroom again, but I am reminded of the precious time I spent in one and the impact that I made.

Oh--and they won! :)

We left there and stopped for lunch.  Who did I run into, but another mom of a former student. I got to catch up on all that is going on with her and her kiddo as well.

Michael's cousin got married on Saturday night.  I meant to get a family picture since we were all dressed up, but it never did happen.  The wedding was at Franklin Park Conservatory and was beautiful.  Michael's other cousin Amy has two girls.  Ruby is just a few months older than Olivia, and Lena is 5.  Olivia is loving any time she gets to spend with them.  She especially loves Lena.  She freely offers hugs and says, "I love Lena" over and over.  If you know Olivia, you know how rare her hugs can be.  This is the only picture I snapped the entire night.

We had talked about heading to Oktoberfest on Sunday, but decided on a lazy day at home instead.  We have enjoyed so many outings since we've been here. It's nice to stop and relax sometimes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment