Friday, September 13, 2013

Highbanks Metro Park--"A is for Ant"

One of the things I love about the Columbus area are the metro parks.  I might have taken them for granted until I moved away and didn't have the option.  I'm not really an "I love the outdoors" kind of girl.  But I do like free and educational activities for my child.  I also like the option to go on fun walks and have nice woodsy type options when in the mood. Plus, I did get engaged in one of the local metro parks. :)

We registered and went to one of the metro park activities earlier this week.  Technically the classes are for preschoolers ages 3 to 5.  However, I figured that A) people think Olivia is 3 anyway and B) she has an attention span and disposition better than some 3 and even 4 year olds and C) if it didn't work out--it was free and we could leave!

When we got there we checked in and got a name tag.  There were activities set up at the tables.  Some of the options were puzzles, related books, and coloring.  We went with the coloring.
In the past the classes at Highbanks were in the nature reserve.  Apparently there was another event going on, so we were at one of the shelters.  I'm thinking they weren't expecting it to be so hot and humid in mid-September.

The program started with a book read by the naturalist.
It was called "A for ant", but really it was talking about the entire alphabet and nature type things that started with each letter.

After the story we went on a nature walk/scavenger hunt.  As a group we were looking for things that started with each letter and the naturalist was marking them off.

This is a new thing.  When Olivia is nervous, unsure, or in a new environment she has started putting her fingers in her mouth.  I guess it's her comfort zone/coping mechanism?!

I was sorting of hoping the nature walk was at the end so we could skip out if needed.  Olivia didn't necessarily want to stay close.  One of the downsides of bring a 2 year old, I guess.  It actually started raining after we were out for only about 10 minutes, so the walk got cut short.  I was not complaining! :)

Then it was back to the shelter for the craft.

I helped draw the ant, but she put her own googly eyes on.

She really got into it.  With all the packing going on, we haven't sat in colored in about a month or two.  She seemed to like it much more this time then even two months ago.  It's time to get back into our crafting!

Putting the honeycombs on her letter A.  She took her job seriously! :)

Back to coloring!
We were one of the last ones to leave.  I think she would have colored forever.  Her being 2 was NOT an issue!

I tried to get a picture of her holding her paper.  She was being a stinker and would not look up.  Finally, a kid throwing a tantrum got her attention.  After this picture, she tried to turn around and color some more.  I told her it was time to go for lunch.

We will be attending many more Metro Park events though.  Did I mention that it's FREE!?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment