Wednesday, September 4, 2013

MOPS, Medicine and Mixed Emotions

MOPS groups are starting up around the country this week.  Most follow the local school schedules.  I went to my first meeting for my new group yesterday.  I went into it knowing that I don't always like "new and different" experiences.  I knew that my mind was going to compare to my old MOPS, but I was trying to keep as open of a mind as possible.  I really want to like my new group, get involved and meet some great new friends. 

My experience had both good and not so great parts to it.  First, I was trying to show up early, but with traffic I pulled in right on time.  I wasn't sure what entrance to go in and it wasn't clearly marked. The place is huge.  Luckily I picked the right door.  I was directed where to take Olivia.  It is a FAR walk from where our meeting room actually is.  Not so convenient.  I walked up to the room and there is one older lady who seemed a bit frazzled with at least 12 kids already running around.  2 or 3 of those kids were crying.  This was an immediate turn off to me. In this day and age there is no excuse for poor childcare (Churches included!! pet peeve right there!).  Someone asked if she was alone and she said at the moment she was.  I guess someone didn't show up, but they were aware of the problem and were working on it.  Thankfully, my roll-with-the-punches child didn't seem to mind.  In the past, dropping her off somewhere with an already crying child (or 2 or 3) would have sent her into tears herself.  This time she didn't even look back.  She could barely get through the door fast enough.  She walked right in, ran over to a toy and didn't even pay attention to me signing her in or leaving.  I took her lead and trusted that the situation would be taken care of. (It was.)

The rest of the meeting was alright.  It is certainly NOT my group in Texas. They just knew how to do things.  The bar was set very high and I knew that it was going to be hard to even come close to finding a similar group.  But Texas and Ohio are VERY different.  I know this.  I am just not always a quick adjuster.  I'm hoping with time that I get to love this group just as much.

There did seem to be some really nice ladies.  I enjoyed the ladies at my table (for the most part ;) ), and I even got a little gift for being pregnant.  When I went to pick Olivia up, so was playing nicely.  She ran to me and was super happy.  She said, "Mommy, I was playing with my friends!  I had fun!"  The teacher said she did "really well'.  Then as we were walking down the hall Olivia told me all of the toys she was playing with.  I think it's the most she's ever told me about an experience that I wasn't part of.  It was neat to hear her little stories.

After our busy morning, we came home and had just enough time to eat lunch.  We left again to head to a doctor's appointment.  Once again that "this isn't like my doctor in Texas" feeling crept in.  I did end up liking the doctor and nurse practitioners well enough, so I think I'll stay for now.  It's just different.  (Have I mentioned I don't like different?) :)

Yes, I met the doctor AND both nurse practitioners! :)  The first NP came in.  We discussed why we were there and she took a look.  She thought it was healing nicely, but since it had been STAPH she wanted the doctor to take a look just to make sure we weren't missing anything.  The other NP came in with the doctor as well.  It was a party! Ha!  They basically said keep on doing what we are doing.  They gave a few more suggestions to help with the healing and prescribed a topical ointment.

There is a small hard spot, but they think it's tissue and not more infection.  If Olivia develops a fever or the area gets red at all we need to head back in immediately.  It can come back over and over apparently.  Plus, once you have STAPH you are more susceptible to it and could potentially be a carrier. :(

All in all I felt good about the appointment.  I didn't think the hard spot was an infection, but it was a little worrisome to me.  It's nice to be able to breath a sigh of relief.

Our day had lots of firsts.  I think I figured that since I had lived here in the past everything would be easy.  It's not as easy as I was imagining it would be, but I know it's because I'm the one making it hard for myself.  Yet another lesson I am apparently suppose to learn.  I'm kind of sick of all these lessons lately.  Can someone let me know when recess is?

2 comments:

  1. We actually started MOPS today & I had a great time! Although, it's not the same now that we aren't the same old pink table like last year - I miss you & all of the other girls! Oh-well, kind of like you, I have to start over & meet new women, so it should be fun. I am sure you will fit in & know lots of people before you know. Take Olivia for example, she has already met new friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, lovely . . .This is temporary! :) Remember when you FIRST moved there? This will feel like "home" again!

    Love ya!

    Ang

    ReplyDelete