Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Skillet Lasagna

Here is another meal I made to freeze.  I've had this recipe for years.  I'm pretty sure I got it from my sister who got it from some online search she did.

What you need:
1 lb lean ground beef
2 cups cottage cheese or ricotta*
1 tsp salt
1 (10oz) jar spaghetti sauce**
3 cups mini lasagna noodles***
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tsp parsley flakes

*I honestly can't remember what I normally make this with.  The recipe said cottage cheese and then ricotta was in parentheses.  Normally, whatever is in parentheses is what my sister suggested, so it's what I used.  I bought ricotta, but as I was making it I was thinking that I'm pretty sure I usually use cottage cheese.  I guess you can use either.

**10 ounces is NOT enough.  I use an entire jar.  Also, depending on what flavor of sauce I get, I sometimes add garlic or garlic powder to spice it up a bit.

***I have never found mini lasagna noodles.  I just use curly noodles.

Brown ground beef in large skillet, drain excess fat.
Add spaghetti sauce, salt, noodles, cottage cheese and parsley flakes.
Yes, dry uncooked noodles!

Stir

Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally until the noodles are done.  (You may have to cook longer--it depends on the noodles you use.  Make sure to taste test one before you move on to the next step.  Sometimes I turn the heat up a little hotter than "simmer".)

Sprinkle with cheese
Cover and let stand for 10 minutes with the heat turned off.

Mmmm... look at that cheesy goodness!

Warning:  It makes a lot!

3 comments:

  1. I just made this the other night (one of the recipes you wrote out for me!) I used cottage cheese as well and more sauce (oh and the curly noodles too) it was delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn pregnancy brain... I knew it was cottage cheese!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha yes, I liked w/ cottage cheese, don't know if I'd like the ricotta!

    ReplyDelete