Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Robin Jones Gunn books

Reading hasn't always been one of my hobbies.  Mostly because it wasn't encouraged or reinforced in my home (long story!).  Since I wasn't ever read to as a child or taught to read at home, I wasn't the best reader when I was younger.  Because of those insecurities, reading was rarely something I did for pleasure.

While I was teaching, I was introduced to a few good Christian fiction series by some friends.  This sparked my love of reading.  The only problem was that I always stuck with the same author or two.  Venturing out was scary to me.  I didn't even know where to begin.

When I took a job as a nanny I knew I'd have lots of down time during nap.  I decided it was probably time to move away from the same two authors.  Other wise, I was going to run out of books to read and fast!  So I did the most logical thing I could think of--I went to Barnes and Noble, roamed the Christian fiction aisle and wrote down all the author names or book titles that looked good to me. :)  Genius, huh?

One series of books that looked good to me were The Sisterchicks series by Robin Jones Gunn.  Luckily the library I went to actually carried these books.  (Unfortunately, Christian fiction is always a priority at libraries.)  When I started reading the first one I wasn't quite sure.  The characters are always in their 40's and had kids.  I was worried it would be unrelatable or for an older audience.  This wasn't the case at all.

 Each book is basically about two friends who go on some sort of adventure through travel.  The travel is always abroad.  The characters face trials, mishaps, and have lots of fun.  The books aren't overly "Christian" in the writing, but there are always good "nuggets" of truth, encouragement, or enlightenment.
 These books make me want to travel!!  I especially want to go to Venice after reading the Gondola one!

Robin Jones Gunn also has childrens books and teenager books.  Apparently she had a high school series around the same time I was in high school. (I've had friends say they read them.)  This was the Christy Miller series.  Well, Christy and her friends grew up and there are a few books about them in college.  I have read a few.  So I went from reading about 40 year old women to 20 year old women.  I think she needs to write something for the 30 year olds! :)  Even though it was about college, I could relate.  I lived in the dorms and it took me back to my college days.  Again, there were good little "nuggets" of truth.

If you're at the library and looking for a good, easy Christian fiction read... check out Robin Jones Gunn.

No comments:

Post a Comment