Friday, June 3, 2011

French Dip

Thank you to all who shared recipes with me for meals to freeze... Yeah, that was sarcasm.  I didn't get one single suggestion.  You lazy readers! ;)

Anyway, I had a few ideas of my own so it's OK.  My sister had a recipe I have eaten at her house a few times and have even made at her house when staying with her kids.  I knew it would freeze well, so I asked her for it. (to be shared with you soon)  In the process of that chat she suggested a few other of her recipes that would freeze well.  One of them is a french dip recipe.  I have had this at her house multiple times and knew it was yummy, so I was on board.  I didn't know it would be so easy!

What you need
2 1/2 to 3 pounds of chuck roast
(I ended up with a 2 pounder because that's all I could find.  It was a BIG shopping trip and by the time I got to the meat section I was ready to be back home on the couch.)
1 package Good Seasonings Italian salad dressing
(Normally it comes in a yellow and green packet in the salad dressing aisle.  I bought a box since I use it for other recipes, which is why mine is in a white envelope.)
1 package au jus
(found by packets of gravy and taco seasoning)
1 can beef broth
(I got reduced sodium--cuz, well, you know!)


Place chuck roast in crock pot
 Mix the three ingredients and pour over roast
 
 Cook for 10 hours
I'm not sure if it was because my meat was smaller or because my crock pot cooks hotter (because I've had that happen before), but my meat was ready in closer to 8 hours.  That was cooking it on the lowest setting possible.

Shred meat and serve on rolls

My sister likes to get these little rolls from Costco.  I wasn't going to Costco, so I picked up slightly bigger ones from the bakery section of the grocery store.

So yummy!
We ate some and still had plenty to freeze--even with it only being 2 pounds of roast.

No comments:

Post a Comment