Sunday, June 5, 2011

Nursery Birdhouse

This pesky birdhouse and has been haunting me for months now!  Remember that I mentioned (when picking the bedding) that I thought birdhouses or birdcages would be a great way to decorate?!  Since I have pom poms hanging from the ceiling, and there isn't much other space for decorating, I skipped out on the birdcages.  I did have a small space for a very small birdhouse.  I knew JoAnn's sold them for a dollar.  However, I avoided buying it for about a month and a half--mostly because the thought overwhelmed me.

Finally, I bought it...a month ago.  And then...it sat.  I've mentioned that being pregnant has zapped my creative juices.  Plus, for whatever reason I was putting pressure on myself to turn this one dollar birdhouse into a million dollar masterpiece.  I decided it was time to get over it.  The birdhouse needed decorating and I needed to get on it before I had no time left.

 What the birdhouse looked like before I started...
Do you see it haunting me?  It's saying "This better be good.  It's for your daughter's room!"  Yep.  It's mocking me.  Agh!!  The pressure!

I decided to just use supplies I had.  After all, roaming the aisles of a craft store was not in the cards for me this week.  I couldn't decide if I wanted to just paint the thing and keep it simple, or if I wanted to bling it out (like the "O"), or if I wanted to use scrapbook paper to cover it.  I decided to try to keep it simple, but use both paint and scrapbook paper.  I had Michael help me pick out the paper we would use.  I was given some really cute paper at my shower (from my "adopted" mom Kathi), so we had so many good choices to choose from.

First, I painted the house part green.  I included the paint bottle in the picture so you can see what I used.  I think it was leftover from wedding day crafts.

Next, I painted the trim white

Then I used spray adhesive and glued on the paper
It's actually a bright green color and not yellow like it looks

I decided to use buttons instead of bling.
There was blue in the paper.  I debated on whether or not to use the blue because there was no other blue in the room.  I don't necessarily want everything matchy matchy, which is why I added the blue and the yellow.

Next, I added her name with a paint pen.  The pink details were added with a small paintbrush.

On the shelf
Cute, huh?


So it's not a million dollar masterpiece, but it's still nice.
I'm relieved just to have it done with.  Now, all I need is a picture frame for the top shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment