Sunday, June 12, 2011

Baby Care Class

Sorry for another picture-less post, but this was just too cute to pass up.

Yesterday we attended our last hospital class before the birth of our little girl.  This class was a 3 hour "baby care" class.  I didn't sign up for it at first.  It was about changing diapers, feeding and burping babies, giving newborn baths, and other basic infant care.  I figured that I had it all pretty well under control, even though I've never been soley responsible for a newborn.  I planned to just teach Michael what I knew.  After some thought, I figured it might be better for him to learn from someone else.  I don't want to be his "baby boss".

We showed up at class and there was a baby doll on our table.  Each doll was swaddled in a blanket with a diaper laying on top.  Michael was immediately intrigued.  He started checking out the diaper.  I made a comment about it not looking like a newborn diaper.  Then I saw a 1 and pointed out that it was a size 1 diaper.  Michael must not have heard me.  Either that or he didn't understand.  The 1 was on the right side of the diaper by the velcro tab.  He started looking around at the diaper.  Then he said, "Where's the number 2?"  I couldn't help it.  I had to laugh.  I told him that the 1 was the size.  There was no number 2. He said, "Oh, I thought it had step by step numbered directions."  LOL!  We both got a good laugh.  It's understandable.  He doesn't know about diapers--YET!

The class started.  There were 8 couples in the class.  The teacher began talking.  Everyone was sitting and listening.  Everyone, that is, except my dear husband.  No.  He was unswaddling the doll... checking out the diaper... talking about the eye color of the doll... moving her hat around... re-wrapping it in the blanket... holding it...  Can you tell he's a little excited?  I finally had to tell him to pay attention!! :) 

He spent the whole ten minute break smiling from ear to ear telling me how excited he is for Olivia to come.  He's going to be such a good daddy! :)


1 comment: