Monday, June 20, 2011

37 Weeks

 Don't get in a tizzy--I didn't get dressed up and go to church yesterday.  This was snapped right after getting home from my hair appointment on Saturday.  I wore the dress because it was 103 degrees out and it was airy and easy.  I didn't think I'd be looking too presentable on Sunday so I thought ahead.  I don't think I look like I dropped...  What do you think?


How far along: 37 weeks

Size of baby: for weeks 37 to delivery (month 9) the baby is the size of a watermelon
Average size is 18.9 to 20.9 inches and 6.2 to 9.2 pounds.

Total weight gain/loss: +31.2

Gender: It's a girl!  Olivia Grace is on her way!

Movement: big and strong!

Sleep: Once I get to sleep I'm alright, but the first hour or two is rough.  Now that I'm on bed rest, I expect that sleep will get better.  I can nap here and there and go to bed when I'm tired instead of when I feel I should because I have to get up for work.

What I miss: being comfortable... doing things easily

Cravings: watermelon, jello, dessert (any kind really)

Symptoms: swelling!!! high blood pressure :(

Fun Purchases: We bought the last piece of the nursery puzzle... post coming soon.

Surprises: getting put on bed rest--I guess it's not a huge surprise, but I sort of thought that I would get the "take it as easy as you can" talk and that would be it.  I'm very surprised there was talk of moving the induction up.  I didn't expect that.

What I'm looking forward to: getting this show on the road and meeting my daughter

Milestones: I'm FULL TERM!!!!!!!!!!!

Birth plan: From the beginning I didn't really feel the need to have a birth plan.  Personally, I think they are a little silly.  I might not know a lot about giving birth (yet), but I do know from years of watching baby shows on TV that it is very unpredictable.  I didn't want to sit and write out the things I did and didn't want.  Ultimately, I want what what is best for the baby and I.  Everyone pretty much says the same thing... "I don't want an episiotomy", or "I didn't want any medical intervention" or "I don't want a c-section".  Almost always the thing the mom really didn't want is exactly what had to happen.  Why set myself up for failure?  Why waste my time planning something out that can't really be planned?  I asked my doctor if I needed one and she laughed it off and said no.  She said they joke in the office that the woman that come in with the five page birth plans are almost always the ones who end up going in for a last minute c-section (Murphy's law?).  Usually you or your husband can just relay to the nurse what is going on.  (Now, if my hospital gave the baby the Hep B shot, I would make sure to have it in writing that we did not want it.  However, my hospital doesn't do it, so I don't have to worry about it.)

I told my doctor that I understood--especially with an induction-- that anything can happen and it's best to be flexible.  I said the only thing I had to say was, I didn't want to be told to feel the babies head as she comes out.  I don't want to "catch" her either.  Let me do what I need to do and I will appreciate her when she is laying on my stomach.  There is no need for mirrors or hands to be touching half out gooey heads!  Also, I told her that I wasn't going to be one of those women that cry if I have to go for a c-section.  It doesn't scare me.  I know that with induction there is a higher rate of needing a c-section (because you are trying to make your body do something it wasn't ready for).  I've seen a lot of baby shows lately where the women are dead set on not getting a c-section.  They end up in labor for 56...68...72 hours (and sometimes have to get a c-section anyway).  I do not want that.  Don't drag this thing out for days.  If it's not working... if I'm not progressing as I should... just take me and cut me open.  Seriously.  She said that was good to know.  She said obviously if the baby is in distress it's a no-brainer.  She said she will be honest with me.  If she thinks it can happen but is just taking a while, then she'll tell me.  If she assesses me and doesn't think it will happen, then she will tell me that too.

Other: My next (and last!) doctor's appointment is Wednesday morning.  I fully intend on taking all hospital bags with us just in case.  You never know when you can get sent straight to the hospital for induction!  Oh, and I'm eating a HUGE breakfast before too--just in case! :)

ONE WEEK LEFT!!!!!!
(maybe)

No comments:

Post a Comment