Sunday, August 1, 2010

Weird? or Smart?

For those of you who may not know, I was born in South Dakota.  I lived there until I was 8 years old when I moved to Wisconsin.  I lived in Wisconsin until going off to college at 18.  I think it's fair to say I'm a midwest girl.  There were a few differences when moving from South Dakota to Wisconsin.  The big one I remember is switching from "pop" to "soda".  (and now I will never switch back!)

There are a few things that are different here in Ohio too.  I've gotten use to most of them.  I may not comply, but at least I know what someone is talking about.  For example, some people here "sweep" their floor with a "sweeper".  The rest of the world calls it a vacuum cleaner.  Yeah.  No clue.  Others live on "a court".  I always called it a cul-de-sac.  Also, you get your license at the BMV.  I'm sorry.  It doesn't matter how long I live here (and it's been 8 years already), I will forever call it the DMV.

People here (my husband included) have a special use for this kitchen appliance.

I bet you can't even guess what it is!?

Come up with any guesses?

Well, before I tell you what they do with it, I better tell you that all Ohioans don't claim this trick.  Although, I've seen my fair share of them do it, and I have lived in 4 other states and have never seen or heard of such a thing anywhere else.  I just wanted to put that out there for any Ohioan that feels I may be misrepresenting them. :)

Ready?

Drum roll please.......

..................

They keep their bread in it!
Apparently this is suppose to keep it fresh longer and keep any excess air from getting to it... sorta like the old school bread boxes.

Have you heard of it?  And if you have, what state do you live in?

What do you think?  Is it smart, or just straight up weird?
I do it now too.  I think part of that is just out of need.  I don't have a lot of space and I can't stand clutter, so having it sit on the counter would drive me crazy.  So in the microwave our bread and buns go! :)

6 comments:

  1. It's weird . .. Sorry Michael . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. No,it's not weird to use a microwave for something besides cooking. If you've ever melted the plastic wrapper to the side of a hot toaster, you would get the bread off the counter too! If you're short on counter space and you can store it close by, why not? I know someone who uses their dish washer as a storage spot for foil, wax paper, and plastic wrap. They would rather do their dishes by hand, so what's wrong with finding some other use for the appliance? I think it's smart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it's weird to conserve space and prolong freshness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's just my opinion . . . :-)

    No offense . . .

    Have a fabulous day, B!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hat's off to you Michael for the "fresh" idea and for thinking outside the box (bread box)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep my bread in the microwave or the Fridge...

    ReplyDelete