Saturday, August 14, 2010

I'm old. The end.

Sorry to those of you who read this before 2 this afternoon... I had it scheduled, but hadn't actually written it yet.  I got distracted.  We have my cousin and her family in town this weekend.

Anyway, my post was suppose to say that I have decided I am old.  My very first class of cute little first graders are going to be FRESHMAN this year.  Freshman!  Oh my goodness.  I remember that first day of teaching like it was yesterday.  Kirk... McKenzie... Brandon... Brittany... Caleb... Noah... Erica...

I've run into a couple of them recently.  Most of the boys are taller than me.  They no longer want to marry, but will usually still give me a hug! :) 

One mom ran into an old co-worker and made sure to mention how much I had influenced her daughter's life.  Wow!  Her daughter was one of those where you can use the phrase, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".  Whew!  She was a tough one, but I loved her nonetheless.  She tried my patience, amazed me (and not in a good way) with things she would say and do, drove me crazy, and challenged me.  However, I learned to love her, and she learned to love and trust me.  Her mom told my co-worker, "Here was this baby-faced teacher, straight out of college, telling me that my daughter might have some issues and I should see a doctor.  I loved her, but I thought 'She's crazy, what does she know?!'.  After a while I decided to listen and take my daughter to a doctor.  Turns out Miss Gjertson was right.  My daughter was off the charts ADHD and had oppositional defiance disorder.  Seeing a doctor helped save my daughters life and our families sanity".  I heard that and just smiled. 

So I'm old.  My babies are going to be freshman.  Before I know it, they'll be graduating.  Sigh.

1 comment: