Monday, August 2, 2010

Nachos Supreme

First, a little friendly reminder... There are a lot of people that comment on my blog, and I love each one of them.  However, there are lots of people that do not have a blog or google account and comment under "anonymous".  If and when you do this, please sign your name.  That way we all know who is saying what.  Thanks! :)

So on to the post.

This is a Pampered Chef recipe that I have been making since I moved out on my own and had to learn to cook.  :)  It's actually meant to be an appetizer, but I don't think that would be a very good idea.  You'll figure it out as we go along.

What you'll need
6 (7 inch) flour tortillas
8 oz cooked lean ground beef
1/2 cup salsa
2 cups shredded lettuce
1 tomato (chopped)
3 green onions, minced
2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheese, divided
1/2 cup sliced pitted olives

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Cut each tortilla into six wedges

Starting at the edge of the stone (or pizza pan), arrange wedges in a circle, overlapping sightly with points toward the center.

Cover the stone and bake 8 to 10 minutes
 (side note: I've never made this with this type of tortilla before.  They were leftover from a previous meal, so I just used them.  I usually use the bigger tortillas.)

They shrunk a little bit?  Maybe because they are "healthy"??

Also, they don't ever get super crispy.  You could never pick up a chip and eat it like a real nacho.  Hence the reason I wouldn't serve it as an appetizer to people.

Brown the meat.  
I actually use more than 8 oz.  It's up to you.  I used about 3/4 a pound this time, but more would have probably been better.  (Especially for Michael)

Add salsa
(if you use more meat, you may want to use more salsa)

Assemble

Put one cup of cheese on the hot tortillas

Put meat over it

Then put lettuce on

Add tomatoes.  I used two since they were the small plum ones.

Add onions and olives.  Usually I leave the olives off, but for whatever reason I bought them this time, so I used them.

Add remaining cheese

It ends up being pretty thick.  I cut it with a pizza cutter and serve with a spatula.

Serve with sour cream and a fork

I really like it and the leftovers too.  I think I might actually like the leftovers better.  When you reheat it in the microwave the tortillas go back to being soft.  I don't mind though.  I use to always take the leftovers with me to school for my lunch.  It worked out perfect when I was on my own.

Michael has informed me to never make this meal again.  He is not a fan.  I thought I'd share that with you, because you may want to use that information when deciding whether to make it or not.  Mind you, he is a meat and cheese only kind of guy.  But I wanted to make sure you got both sides!

Also, Michael told me to "never make this meal again" because I asked him to tell me when he doesn't like something.  He wasn't being mean.  We've had many discussions about how I'd rather he tell me what he doesn't like, so that I know.  I sat through many meals of goulash, tuna casserole, roast, hamburger helper and burnt hamburgers.  I would not want my husband to sit through meals he did not enjoy.  I like cooking, but I like it even more when the people eating it like it too! :)

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! You're such a good wife to Michael. :) LPryor

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delightful! I don’t get why your husband didn’t like it, but I guess we all have our preferences. At the very least, both of you were honest enough to discuss matters like these. So, what kind of food does he like?

    Diane Baker @ Alejandra’s Restaurant

    ReplyDelete