Monday, August 9, 2010

Prarie Tale

Well, today's post was suppose to be about our second camping trip this past weekend.  Unfortunately, I was sick. :(  It's rare that I get sick, but every once in a while I get struck too.  Luckily, it only lasted 24 hours.

So since I can't share with you a fun camping experience, I'm going to share with you a book review... sort of.  I say sort of, because I didn't actually finish the book.  I'll get to that.  The book is Melissa Gilbert's Prarie Tale.

When I saw her on Kathie Lee and Hoda and heard she had a book out, I was all excited to read it.  I watched Little House on the Prarie growing up, and I thought it would be a fun read.  It didn't take long to find out that it wasn't really for me.  However, I wanted to stick it out.  I knew I wanted to review it on my blog, and I thought it only fair that I actually read the entire thing.  I read about 2/3's of it.  I kept  carrying it back and forth to work every day, trying to psych myself up to finish it.  It also put all other reading on hold because I knew it was just waiting in my bag for me.  Finally, I decided to screw it, take it back to the library, and review a book I didn't completely read.  Hope you don't mind.

There are a few things I didn't like about it.  First, there was a TON of name dropping.  It was completely in excess, and I didn't even recognize half the names. (I'm sure if I grew up in the 70's or was older in the early 80's it would have helped.)  Second, there was a lot of swearing.  I'm not talking a little word here or there, I'm talking harsh swearing and often.  Not my style.  Third, it was all about who was sleeping with who.  Not only that, but some parts got a little graphic.  Again, not really my style.

Overall, I was disappointed.  I know actors aren't who they play, but it was like night and day.  To me, it was less about her life story and more about letting us know all the bad things she did, who she did them with, and any other name she could throw in to make her seem important.  I'm sure some people loved the book, but for my blog and my review I give it a big thumbs down.

1 comment:

  1. good to know, normally i love reading autobiographies but I hate ones with a ton of cussing and name dropping and crap like that. Be glad you didn't waste your time finishing it!

    ReplyDelete