Wednesday, August 25, 2010

How Sweet It Is

 Here is another book that I picked up from the library simply because it had the little pink "Inspirational" sticker on it.  I had it for months.  I kept renewing it while I tried to wade through Prarie Tale.  When I finally gave up on that, I started on How Sweet It Is.  I'll admit... I have my favorite authors, and while they are sometimes predictable, I don't necessarily mind.  I'm invested in the characters now and want to know what happens next.  So when I picked up this book, I started it sort of with the mentality of "I want to like you, but I'm just not sure I will".  It took me a little while to get into it, but finally I did.  Once I got going with it, I actually really enjoyed it and finished it quite quickly.  Here's how the back describes it.

When Deena Livingston moves into her grandfather's cabin in the mountains of North Carolina, she plans to keep to herself, start a cake-decorating business, and recover from the heartbreak she left behind in Atlanta.  But a special request from Grandpa Ernest compels her to interact with the Bryson City locals, who have some surprising stories to share with the new girl in town.

Can a Dr. Seuss-quoting plumber who shows up at the most unexpected times, a handsome social worker who seems to know exactly what Deena is thinking, and a classroom full of mischievous middle-school students teach Deena to once again embrace the sweet things in life. 

It was a story of healing... working through issues... restoration... I liked that the author "kept it real" and went through all the real life issues people have and didn't sugar coat it for fictions sake or make it unbelievable.  Each person has struggles/hurts/issues.  We all have deal with them, heal, and move on.  It was an enjoyable book for me and I plan on checking out the other book the author has written. (As far as I know she's a new author and has only written two.)  If you aren't put off by an "Inspirational" book, check this one out!

No comments:

Post a Comment