Saturday, July 31, 2010

Pretty Poppy

Not only did I find keys at the Powell Street Market, but I also found a piece of art that I loved.  A local artist had a little tent with some great, colorful pieces.  Laurie and I walked by soon after arriving and loved what we saw.  We wanted to see what else there was to offer, so we didn't get anything at first.

Throughout the day, Laurie had decided that she really wanted one of the pieces for above her couch.  So the last stop we made was back to Susie's tent.  I was looking at all of the pieces again and kept saying how much I loved them.  Laurie was still a little nervous about the price since her piece was pretty big.  Finally I said, "I'll buy this one if you buy that one".  She said "OK" but then was still swaying.  Susie said to me, "I'll give you $5 off" and I was sold.  That five somehow translated to $10 when it came time to pay.  I'm not complaining!

So I came home with a great painting, from a local artist, and purchased at a reasonable price.  Yeah... I had no idea where I was going to put it.  I just knew I liked it.  That's not generally how I work, but apparently last Saturday I was struck by a little whimsy and a sudden case to impulsively buy art.

I don't tend to be someone who is "moved" by art, but for whatever reason I loved this piece.

It's very hard to see in the picture, but it's a mix of paper (tissue paper maybe?) and paints and has LOTS of texture to it.

Luckily, I got it home and my husband liked it too! :)  (Phew!)
It just makes me happy.  And after trying out a few places, I found the perfect place to hang it.

It now has a home above the bookcase at the top of the stairs.

BEFORE

AFTER
Better?
Ok, there are clean clothes hanging over the banister.  Whatever... just keeping it real! :)
So now every day I get to walk past it.  It just makes me happy!

3 comments: