Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Never the Bride

So I was walking through the library having one of those moments where Little Man is not wanting to look at my books.  I really like to listen to a book on tape in the car, so I quick grabbed one that had the little inspirational dove on it and hoped for the best.  This is what it was...


Here's the summary:

Since she was just a little girl, Jessie Stone dreamed up hundreds of marriage proposals, doodled the romantic ideas in her journal with her treasured purple pen, and fantasized about wedding dresses and falling in love.  She’s been a bridesmaid nearly a dozen times, waved numerous couples off to sunny honeymoons, and shopped in more department stores for half-price fondue pots than she cares to remember.

But shopping for one key component of these countless proposals hasn't been quite as productive–a future husband. The man she thought she would marry cheated on her.  The crush she has on her best friend Blake is at very best…well, crushing.  And speed dating has only churned out memorable horror stories.

So when God shows up one day, in the flesh, and becomes a walking, talking part of her life, Jessie is skeptical. What will it take to convince her that the Almighty has a better plan than one she’s already cooked up in her journals?  Can she turn over her pen and trust someone else to craft a love story beyond her wildest dreams?



Sounds interesting enough, right?  It was cute.  There were times I wanted to scream at her to STOP.  Other times she made me laugh.  I wouldn't put this book in my "love it and have to own it" category.  It was good though.  The thing I most liked about it was, that even though I wasn't in the same boat as Jessie--trying to find a man--I could relate to her struggle with God.  The relationship she had with God was one I think we all face.  She wanted to tell Him when and how to do things.  When He set things up for her the way He wanted, she wouldn't listen or would sabotage His efforts.  Sound familiar?  It was a good reminder that God is in control and I need to let Him lead me more often.  Life would be so much easier that way.

2 comments: