Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Beginning Sounds Safari

We have been working on learning beginning sounds.  Little Man is great at doing beginning sounds when it comes to workbooks.  He's also pretty good at doing beginning sounds of words, but could use some work.  I decided it was time for a little "beginning sounds safari".

I had every intention (when I first thought of this months ago) to make binoculars out of toilet paper rolls and cover them with stickers of letters or whatever.  Well, in the meantime, we've made binoculars at two different activities we've gone too.  So instead of making another set, we just used one from a park program we went to.  However, if you are doing this at home, you can make this little craft easily.  Paint, stickers, crayons, markers, or dot painters will all work beautifully in decorating your binoculars.


Then we went around the house "spying" things and I had him tell me what letter it started with.

"T" is for table

"G" is glass

"S" is for sunglasses... really close sunglasses! :)

"C" is for clock

I'll admit, Little Man wasn't really into this game.  He liked using the binocular and "spying" things, but he didn't really want to tell me the letter sounds.  Oh well.  I made him do it anyway! :)  We did it for about 10 minutes.  It was incredibly hard to get pictures though, because either he would turn and look at me, or there are pictures of him everywhere in the house and they would turn up in my pictures.  You get the point though.  You could also do this game when learning shapes.  We went hunting for shapes back when he was learning them.  You could also do it for colors to make it even more basic.  Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment