Friday, May 28, 2010

Win, Lose, or Tantrum

I heard the deejay on the radio ask if people let their kids win at things or do they sometimes win themselves when playing games with their children.  It got me thinking.  So I thought I'd throw the question out to you guys.  I realize only the same 5 answer or comment, but I'd love to hear from any and all of you.  What do you think?  Do you, or would you, let your kids (say ages 2 to 6) win every time you play with them?  Or do you sometimes win a good game of Candyland or Chutes and Ladders? :)  I have a strong opinion about it, and I'll share with you in a few days.  Feel free to let me know what you think and WHY you think that way!

5 comments:

  1. I don't let them win ... they have to work for it just like everything else in life. They can hold their own especially when it comes to boardgames. We start off following the rules so they continue doing it as they grow up in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I let them win sometimes. It's probably because my mom NEVER let us win and laughed at us when we cried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I let Giovonni win, sometimes I win, sometimes he wins on his own. Sometimes, I let him play by his own crazy rules, but mostly we play by the rules of the game. He doesn't cry when he loses, he just wants to keep playing until he wins (which is why, sometimes, i let him...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids have won the game fair & square . . . but there have been a few times I let them win ~ when they've had a string of loses. I've done that just to boost their egos so they don't give up. So . . . there you go, B! :-)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since you've limited the question to between the ages of 2-6 it'll take me a minute to think back that far....I believe that the question was also do we let them win "every" time we play....So, based on that criteria from what I can remember my answer is a definate no - I did not let them win everytime. I worked on teaching them how to play the game, how to strategize, how to make better choices in the game, etc. Depending on what that day was like though, I may have "let" them win on occassion. I'm competative, my boys are also competative - so in their teenage years I hardly think they would appreciate me letting them win...although I do "help" Austin out if I happen to see his hand and he's lost a few in a row.

    Love ya,
    Rockie

    ReplyDelete