Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Thoughts


Everyone has facebook these days, right?  I must admit... I'm pretty addicted.  I spend time every evening on facebook, and I also check my phone facebook during the day.  I've lived in many different states and met many people, so it's nice to be able to connect with friends.  My family is also spread out all over the country, so it's nice to keep in touch with them as well.  I really like looking at people's pictures.

Unfortunately, some things on facebook are really starting to bother me.  I'm not sure if I want to give up facebook all together, but some of the annoyances are starting to add up.

Things that bother me:

  • People listing EVERYTHING they did that day.  Status updates by nature are a little narcissistic.  However, why do people need to let us know that they did the dishes, the laundry, bathed the kid, washed the car, fed the dog, and worked out for an hour all in ONE status update??  Do they want a pat on the back?  A cookie?  Seems a little insecure to me.  We all have homes to clean, food to cook, laundry to wash, and cars to take care of.  It's not really necessary to give us your day's play by play.
  • GAMES.  Oh. My. Word.  How many games does facebook have?  I find that I am blocking one or two games or applications every time I get on and then the next time there will be three more to "hide".  The sad part is, some people are playing 50 games.  How do you have the time?  I get playing one or two... maybe even 3.  But playing every game out there?  Yikes.
  • Becoming a "fan" of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.  Do we really need to have a page and then become a "fan" of 'rubbing your hands on the couch cushions to change the color' OR 'I wish mosquitoes sucked fat, not blood'.  Really?  We need to become a fan of that?  Really?
  • Deleting.  I have noticed a trend of deleting.  People say rude, mean or inappropriate things... leave it there just long enough for people to see it (or an email to be sent) and then delete it.  If you are going to say it, SAY IT.  Stand by your words.  Don't delete them after you've offended people.  Coward.
  • Being passive aggressive in status updates.  Again, say what you have to say.  Don't be all passive aggressive just hoping you piss off the right person.  I'd rather you stab me in my front than in my back. (or whoever it is you are trying to send your secret coded message to)
See my dilemma?  I'm addicted yet aggravated.  What to do... what to do?
Do you agree?  What do you think about facebook?

5 comments:

  1. poop on Blogger for not publishing the TWO comments I tried to leave....poop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait?!?! So what are your comments? I'm assuming you agree since we are basically the same person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, yes I do actually (surprise, surprise?!)
    They both so long..so if this one doesn't publish I will scream!

    I agree, I basically "hide" people that play games all day long and it shows up in my feed. I pretty much "hide" people that I constantly see in my feed because they change their status 800 times a day. I keep mine simple. I love this that or other, something I'm happy or excited to share, don't care if you pat my back or not! lol.
    I am however guilty of the saying something mean indirectly hoping they will pick up on it--why? because I usually overreact (gasp!) and don't always mean to the extend of what I say or how I say it--so it's a way for me to vent a little w/o really hurting anyone, when that's not my intention (unless it's something that shouldn't be vented on FB and discussed w/ the person, that's different). I don't do that often though...so unless they do it everyday then "hide" them as well!
    Yes the whole deleting thing is silly...why post it if you're going to delete it? keep it up or don't post it at all..chances are no one cares about it anyway!
    I become fans of something I'm a FAN of. Like I just became a fan of Zumba--cuz I love it!
    Bottom line, I use it for keeping in touch w/ far away friends, seeing how friends are doing/pics/updates and communicating w/ church people and friends, like see you tonight or don't forget this, etc. Awesome for that and that's what I use it for.

    So yeah my "twin" I agree! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. *were both so long...geesh typing too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree!! :-) I am so addicted to farmville though . . . sorry . . . But the posting a not so nice comment then turning around & deleting it is very cowardly! If you have to delete it, maybe you shouldn't have said it ~ or better yet, find your back bone & own it.

    And, I don't need to know that you accomplished 6 chores, tasks, duties, etc in 3 hours. Nor do I care.

    Later tater! :-)

    Ang

    ReplyDelete