Thursday, October 1, 2009

Super Easy Apple "Turnovers"

I mentioned yesterday that I use to do all sorts of fun things with my first graders for Johnny Appleseed day.  All six years I taught, the absolute favorite is when they got to "cook" or "bake".  Every year I would make this simple little treat with them and they would love it.  I've never met an adult who didn't like it either!  I've made these with Little Man that last two years using the apples we picked. Yum!

Here's what you'll need:



Buttermilk bisquits, an apple or two (depending on how many you are making), butter, cinnamon, and sugar.

When I was teaching, I would give the kids a quarter of an apple along with a plastic knife and let them cut the apple into pieces.  Since little man is much younger, I went ahead and cut the apple up for us.  TIP: If you are wanting to serve or cook with an apple and not have it turn brown, dip the cut pieces into a lemon lime soda.  This is much better than using straight up lemon juice because it doesn't leave a lemony taste.

The buttermilk bisquits split in half easily.
You, or your munchkin, will need to spread the bottom bisquit out flat--without ripping it.



 





Then add the apples into the middle of the bisquit.






Then add cinnamon and sugar to the apples.  When I was in the classroom I would just use a teaspoon to sprinkle the sugar on and then use a jar of cinnamon, but for little man's sake I used the premixed kind.  I also added a little extra sugar.







The add a pat of butter, add the thinned out top layer, and seal at the ends so all of your yummy goodness stays in.  I usually put a little butter on top and sprinkle it a little bit more with the cinnamon and sugar mix.

 




Then follow the directions for baking.  I actually cooked them a little longer than the directions and they could have gone for a little longer too.  It's all personal preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment