Monday, October 5, 2009

I don't get it...

Ok, so you've probably noticed by now that I really like decorating.  I'm not really one of those "designer" types, and I'm kind of still figuring out my style.  I like Pottery Barn type stuff (which is the "style" our realtor says our house is), some french country, some modern, some eclectic, some contemporary.... you get the point.  I walk through fun stores like Restoration Hardware and say "ooooh, I love that!".  I flip through the Ballard Designs magazine that my boss gets and think, "oooh, I really, really, really like that".  Lately, I've been looking at all sorts of decorating type blogs.  What I've found is that all these women find things they like from the above mentioned stores and then copies it for way cheaper.  Smart.  However, just as in fashion, there are some things I just don't get.  I also question why everyone is copying it.  What am I missing?  Here's a good example:











These aer on sale at Pottery Barn right now for $39.  (No wonder everyone looks for the ideas and then does it themselves--$39? Are you kidding me?!?!)  They are cute and all, but I'm not sure why you'd need numbered jars.  On top of that, EVERYONE in bloggy world is copying this.  Not only are they painting numbers on jars, but they are painting numbers on everything they can find.  Why do you need your dresser drawers numbered?  Do you need to tell your husband that his socks are in drawer #2?  Why do you need a random #5 painted on the back of a chair?  I promise these are all things I've actually seen!!  I've seen bowling pins painted (*scratches head*), decorative balls, a bench (which I guess would be good if you had 5 kids and they all needed a time out at the same time?!), pumpkins, vases, bar stools and much more.  What do you think?  Is it that fabulous of a design that we need to paint numbers on everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment