Friday, October 23, 2009

Autism Awareness

Those of you reading this blog who know me personally know that I am passionate about autism awareness.  I have taught children with autism, I have been a registered ABA therapist for two different children with autism, and am a godmother to one sweet girl on the spectrum.  It is a passion that has taught me so much about myself and life, and has taken me on a journey I never imagined I would be on.

I know autism and all the details around it are very controversial.  I can understand that.  I also "get it" because I have a 'side' that I feel strongly about.

Having said that, I am not going to pump you full of my thoughts, theories, stories, concerns, examples, etc.  I'm not even going to get into any sort of detail or descriptions.  This post is to simply tell you about two books that I believe you MUST READ.  Not only should all moms, teachers, and childcare workers read these, but I think everyone should.  I think there are a lot of people out there who have no idea what goes on.  Also, I think there are a lot of people who judge because they don't know.  Educate yourself.

My book choices are as follows (should be read in order):



and







I know that Jenny McCarthy in and of herself is a little controversial, especially when it comes to her views on autism.  Truly though, that is because people misinterpret or misuse her words.  Most of what is swimming out there that she "believes" isn't even what she says in the books.  It's twisted words just to start a fight.  There are some swear words in her book that I could do without, but generally speaking the books are pretty eye opening.  (And who knows, if I had to go through what she went through, I might have been swearing too!)  If for nothing else, just to understand what parents and loved ones of autistic kids go through.  I promise you will learn *something* if not be overloaded by what you will find.

No comments:

Post a Comment