Tuesday, October 6, 2009

ABC Hide and Seek

Little Man is really into hide and seek right now--even though he doesn't know how to play it quite right.  We've been working on his ABC's for some time now and there are about 8 that he still isn't solid on.  I decided to go ahead and mix the two.

I took ten flashcards, some letters he knows well and a few he's not sure about, and "hid" them around the house.


 




 I explained to him that the letters were hiding and he'd have to find the one I told him to find.  Sometimes he found a different letter first, and I'd tell him to leave it there until it was time to find that one.  When he found a letter I knew he didn't know so well--whether it was the correct letter or not, I'd make sure to say out loud what letter it was and have him repeat it to me.  He LOVED it!  We ended up playing three times that day and he's been begging me every day since to play it again.

I'm going to change it up a bit too.  Now that he gets the hang of it, I'm going hide the cards a little harder and have him find them in whatever order he wants.  When he finds one he's going to have to tell me it's name.  If he can't tell me the name of the letter, we'll review it, but put it back in hiding, move on, and come back to it later.  The letter will have to stay in hiding until he can tell me it's name.  We won't be able to move on to the next round of ten until all letters have been found.

It's all about making it relevant! :)

3 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I'll have to remember it when Maylin is old enough to do letters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get those cool flash cards? I may have to try to find some like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't buy them, but I'm almost positive that K got them from amazon.com. Here's the link that I found for ones that match...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ELV3XI

    They are cute. They come in a cute BUT STURDY box full of 45 cards. There are the regular 26, long vowel cards, variation of cards such as soft g/c, y as "i" and "e", and blends (wh, ch, tr, gl, etc.)

    The only thing I don't like is the W is a witch and I don't think that's necessarily appropriate for young kids, but whatever.... :) Still worth the $16 in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete