Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Open ended art---sort of

Open ended art is when you give a child some art supplies and let them go at it.  As opposed to saying "we are going to make ____" and direct every step of the art project.  I believe both are beneficial.

This is an open ended art project with a little bit of help.

Little Man asked to do an art project out of the middle of nowhere.  Then he decided he wanted to make a giraffe.  I told him I'd look for a giraffe project online and he said, "You can do it.  Just give it a long neck and some long legs".  Thanks for the vote of confidence Little Man!  Then he started rummaging through the art closet.  He grabbed some pipe cleaners and said, "We can use these for the horns".  He wanted to make sure we used the glue.  He also really, really wanted to use the " 'prinkles" (glitter).  He said we could use it for grass.  (We didn't have green glitter, so we used gold and made "dirt" or "sand"--you choose!)  He also wanted to use this new little paint dobber thing that we got for the grandparent's day craft.  So I did help out by cutting the pieces, but it was definitely his vision.

(Sorry!  I stand on the opposite side of the island when we do art projects so most of these pictures are sort of upside down.  I'll work on that!)




Little Man put the glue around this all by himself.  I was seriously impressed! :)




 

 
I think it turned out great!
 

2 comments: