Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas

It wasn't my intent to showcase all of the "made for two" recipes I got from my sister, but here is another one.  I guess I've been in an "oldie but goodie" mood when it come to cooking! :)  I believe this one came from the internet.  It's one I hadn't made in a while, but has always been a favorite with the friends and family I have made it for.  I would use the word "enchilada" lightly.  If you are familiar with authentic Mexican cooking... this is probably not for you! :)  It has definitely been "Americanized".  The recipe is intended to be quick and easy, which it is.  It's pretty yummy too!

The line up
1 medium onion, chopped
2 T margarine (I used butter)
1 1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken
1 jar (12 oz) picante sauce, divided (my jar was 16 oz)
1 t ground cumin
2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided (I use what I like)

Heat oven to 350*

Cook and stir onions and butter in large skillet until tender.  NOTE: I like onions, but using an entire onion seems a bit much to me.  I used about half of the one shown.

Stir in chicken, 1/4 c picante sauce, cream cheese and cumin
I just always use canned.  I'm not sure if that's what the original recipe said or where I got that idea, but it sure makes it easier.  I used 2 10 oz cans.  This was definitely more than a cup and a half, but I knew Michael would like it meaty.

Cook until heated through

Stir in one cup of cheese and blend well (when melted)

Divide mixture into 4 parts, spoon 1 part into center of tortilla.
Roll up and place seam down in large casserole dish

Top with remaining picante sauce and cheese
 Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated


Serve with sour cream

This is suppose to be a 2 person meal.  I don't think so!  Michael ate one and was stuffed!  I ended up only eating half of one (with the corn and jello) and was full.  This left us with an entire leftover meal and a half of one for me to take to lunch!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment