Thursday, September 30, 2010

Debbie Macomber-One Simple Act

Debbie Macomber is one of those authors that I stumbled upon when I started this job with Little Man.  I started out reading The Blossom Street series, which I told you about back in June.  Aside from reading all of that series, I have listened to many of her other books on C.D.  She has a ridiculous amount of books, so it's an easy go to when I'm at the library.  When I'm short on time, or Little Man is over standing in the books on tape aisle, I just grab a Macomber book and I'm on my way.

Recently I grabbed a couple of her books on C.D. and was on my way.  I put one in and during the beginning it said something like, "You may be wondering why, as a fiction writer, I am writing a book like this."  I didn't pay much attention to what I had picked up, since I knew I liked her as an author.  I was thinking, "This isn't fiction?"    Then I went on to listening to this book....


I knew almost right away that I loved it.  I feel like some of it is common sense, some of it is just good tidbits of advice and some of it is just a reminder of Christian values that we can all use a refresher course on.  Honestly, I sat through most of it thinking how great it was and that everyone should read/listen to it.

Here's what a summary of it from her site.

What if you, personally, could make the world a better place...by tomorrow? 


Debbie Macomber knows the secret to doing exactly that! In a world that seems too often stingy and grudging, she has witnessed how one simple act of generosity can yield unforeseen miracles. 


You are about to discover, through true stories, what happens when we commit intentional acts of generosity. Lives are changed in ways we never envisioned. Come with Debbie late one evening through the checkout line at the grocery store. Visit a midwestern train station. Discover the link between a submarine, a few bread crumbs, and some minnows. Visit ancient Galilee as a young boy volunteers his fishes and loaves to Jesus only to see his meager gift multiplied many times over to feed five thousand. Listen in on a touching phone call with an elderly widow. You will stand amazed at what God accomplishes when we make ourselves available through simple acts of generosity. 


This blend of true stories and motivating messages will delight and surprise you as you discover how giving the gifts of time, encouragement, hope, laughter, prayer, hospitality, service, and even forgiveness can have lasting, life-changing impact, not only on the recipient of such gifts but on the giver as well. 


Debbie Macomber, through the power of story, invites us to live with open hands, offering who we are and what we have to God, to use in the lives of others. When we do so, lives—including our own—are changed in ways we couldn't have imagined. All it takes is one simple act.

I passed the C.D.'s on to Michael and told him that I really would like him to listen to them.  He started yesterday morning and texted me after he got to school and said, "Good book" and also "a good way to start the morning".  I strongly encourage you to pick it up.  I liked it so much that I think I want to own it.  There were so many times I was thinking that I would like to be taking notes on it or writing down little quotes or nuggets of information, but I was driving.  Really, it's a book that can be revisited and revisited.

Note: The picture above is the hardback version.  The paperback is coming out next month and has a different cover.

1 comment:

  1. I was so intrigued by your review of the book that I reserved it from the local library! Picked it up last night right before closing and can't wait to get started!

    -Deanna

    ReplyDelete