Friday, September 17, 2010

Little Red House...

...with no windows and no doors and a star inside.  Have you heard that story?  If not, you can read it here.  (I thought about copying it here, but it's really long.)  I use to read this story to my little first graders on Johnny Appleseed Day when we did all sorts of apple crafts.  This week we went to a metro park program about apples and this story was read.  Little Man got a kick out of it.

Yesterday I  was watching two of Little Man's cousins (because of a funeral) and I mentioned to him that we should do an art project.  He said, "Maybe we could tell them about the star inside the apple."  I told him we absolutely could and we'd do an art project with it.

So... that's what we did.  I bought 4 apples of varying colors.  
After reading the story we all guessed what apple would have the best star in it.

We cut them all in half.  I forgot to get a picture of it, but I think the red gives the best star. 
(Probably why the story is about a RED house! ha!)
I dug this out of the trash to get an after the fact picture! :)
You can't cut the apple from the top down, but rather from side to side to get the star.

Then we took some paint
and made some prints.

The stars didn't quite show up, but that's alright.  They still turned out cute.

Here's Little Man's three year old cousins
It was looking good until she started sloshing around the paint brush! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment