Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Blossom Street

Back when I was just starting to work with Little man, I knew that I was going to have a good amount of time to read.  At that point he was still napping a minimum of 3 hours a day and was still sleeping in the morning when I got there as well.  I had a few favorite authors, but I had read most of their books and I knew that wasn't going to carry me very far in this new adventure.

So I looked on Amazon to see what kind of books they had listed in the best-selling Christian fiction category.  I spent an afternoon reading summaries and writing a list of books that seemed interesting to me.  One author I came across was Debbie Macomber.  She has a bajillion books, but luckily I stumbled on The Blossom Street Series.

The first book in the series is The Shop on Blossom Street.  I really like how it was written.  The book was surrounded around about 4 or 5 different characters and each chapter was written from the perspective of one of the characters.  The Shop on Blossom Street is a yarn store that was opened up by Lydia, who is trying to follow her dreams and live her life to the fullest after battling cancer.  She decides to teach a knitting class at her new store to draw people in.  The other characters are the people taking her class.  It goes through their life experiences and struggles and pulls you in.  It made me want to own an yarn store... or at least learn to knit!
On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily consider this book (or the series) a "Christian fiction".  Inspirational... maybe.  But that's OK.  I still liked it.  

I went to the library and got the next book in the series.  I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen to these girls.  The next book in the series is A Good Yarn.  It was written the same way as the first book, but with some of the same characters and some new characters.

The next book is Susannah's Garden.  I actually read Susannah's Garden first, before any in this series.  It's not written the same as the others in the series.  I don't think you have to read it in between.  I actually like that I didn't.  It was more just about one lady and her family, but then at the very end she decides to open a flower shop and it happens to be on Blossom Street.  It was a good book, but not necessarily closely related.

Next is Back on Blossom Street

and then Twenty Wishes

Summer on Blossom Street is book number six in the series.

Hannah's List just came out as the most recent Blossom Street book.  I have yet to read it, but plan to do so as soon as it hits my library.

I'll admit, even though these books feature people of all generations as the characters, Debbie Macomber is a little "older" of a writer than what I am usually drawn to.  But for whatever reason, I have really enjoyed this series (and other books I've read/listened to by her).  Some of her books have even been turned into Hallmark movies.  I was so excited when I saw a Christmas one this last season! :)  So if you are looking for an easy read... a feel good book... that may just make you want knit, own a yarn store, or open a small book shop on a quaint street in Seattle... then this series will be great for you.  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment