Sunday, September 12, 2010

Happy Grandparent's Day!

Happy Grandparent's Day to all you grandparents out there.  I'm not sure there are many that read my blog, but for the few who do--have a great day! :)

Little Man and I made a gift for his grandparents (Nana and Papa).  To check out what we've made the last two years, go here.  This year we (he) decorated coffee mugs and made a jar of tea with personalized tags.

We started with this kit from Jo Ann's.
It was $10.  Of course, if I would have been on top of things and had my 40% off coupon it would have been cheaper.  Anyway, it came with two mugs and six markers.  Unfortunately, 3 out of the 6 markers were completely dried out.  I tried running the tip under water to see if I could bring it back to life, but no such luck.  That was sort of a bummer.  There are many other kits out there like this, so I would maybe consider buying a different brand.


Here's how they turned out.
The colors didn't show up quite like I was expecting.  Again, slightly disappointed.

But... I already got word that Nana and Papa LOVED them, so I guess it's alright.

Then we took a $3 jar from Target and some glitter glue and went to decorating.

The jar painted...

Next we made personalized tags for the tea.
I was thinking that the tea was going to come with little strings on them and a small tag.  Then I was going to build around that tag.  Unfortunately this is what happened...

Tea

Packets

Open it up... NO STRINGS!
Who knew tea bags could come without string?!?  So I had to improvise with some tape and ribbon. All that to say, if you plan on doing this craft, you may want to buy a different brand of tea.

I printed a few pictures of Little Man to use, I wrote "I love Nana" and "I love Papa" on a few and then I had Little Man color a paper for the rest of the tags.

I bought a few pieces of double sided scrapbook paper to use.  I
t's important to get the double sided kind so both sides are decorative.

Then Little Man used my scrapbook punches and cut out circles.  He loved using that little tool!

Next, it was time to tape!
First, we taped the ribbon to the tea bag (yeah, not sure if it can actually go in hot water now, but whatever...)

Then glued a small scalloped circle on top of a big scrapbook circle with the ribbon in the middle.

Here are the final tea bags
and
(All 6 have pictures, but I didn't want to have to blur them all out.  
Plus, you can see that each side has a decorative color to it by using the double sided paper.)

I also wrote the flavor on the back of each tag since I took them out of their package.

Cute!

The final product

No comments:

Post a Comment