Monday, September 27, 2010

List o' fun--Apple Picking

Happy Johnny Appleseed Day!  Well, ok, technically his birthday was yesterday, but that's alright.  So in honor of Johnny, I'm going to recommend you go pick some apples. :)  It's so fun!

Little Man and I have gone to Lynd's Fruit Farm in Pataskala, Ohio for the past three years.
You can start picking in August and continue picking until the end of October.  Each weekend offers different apples to pick, but all apple types are available at the corner tent.

We always go around the middle of September.
We've picked Jonathon apples two of the times, because they are great for baking.
The other time we picked Honeycrisp, which are super popular.

Little man loves picking apples.  He always gets so excited when he knows it's coming up.
I asked him what he liked picking the best--strawberries, apples, or pumpkins.  
He said (very excitedly) "ALL of them!!!!" :)

They also have a little hay ride/tractor ride that leaves from the tent.  It is $2 per person.  Little Man also loves this, and it is a good ride.  It lasts a nice long time, and it stops and lets you pick an apple to eat.

I have had a great time going with Little Man (and friends) the last three years.  I knew that when I had kids, we'd be making this a family tradition as well.  However, that doesn't appear to be happening any time soon, so I decided this year that Michael and I would start the tradition.  We are a family.  Why not?  Plus, I don't mind going twice. :)  So that's what we did.  We went apple picking this last weekend.

We took a really cute picture, but it ended up being a little blurry.  
The second attempt was more clear, but my hair decided to go flying!

We went on a busy weekend, so we had a harder time finding apples than I normally do.  
Michael had to get some high ones for us.

It was a perfect fall day.

"Is this a good one?"

Reach!

Got 'em!

He found a good one....

...while I just played in the trees!

After we picked the apples, we went to the tent to get pumpkins, gourds, and yummy Amish goodness.  We also got a half a peck of Pixie Crisp apples for Michael's lunches.  Yum!

There is still time for you to go picking.  Get out there.  Make family traditions.  We'll be going every year from here on out.  Oh--and yummy apple recipes are coming your way!

1 comment: