Friday, May 27, 2011

More Random Things about Texas

Back at the end of January I did a post about our thoughts on Texas so far.  It was full of observations that we had made in the month since we had been here.  Well, I've got a few more things for you.


**There are water towers everywhere.  You never have to wonder where you are.  Just turn your head and look for a water tower!  The other day we saw four or five just from where we were on the freeway.

 **If you happen to be by a strip mall (which are everywhere!), you are likely to find a Pediatricians office or a dentist office.  I just find this bizarre.  My doctor's offices were always in buildings with other  doctor's offices.  It didn't have a store front view.  Plus, who knew there were so many pediatricians out there?  Our pediatrician's office is a few doors down from the Kroger. :)

**I got my license 15 years ago.  I learned to drive in Milwaukee... not a small city.  Since then I have driven in and through many small and large cities alike.  I've driven through Chicago, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, and St. Louis multiple times (just to name a few).  I have never, and I do mean never, encountered worse drivers than here in the suburbs of Dallas.  I thought Springfield, Missouri was the worst.   The town was literally filled with drivers from all 50 states (because of all the private colleges) and then those people were mixed in with the locals, most of whom were old.  Nope.  Texas takes the cake.  It takes defensive driving to a whole new level.

**There are restaurants that actually advertise "B.Y.O.B".  I have no idea why they just don't sell their own alcohol and make a profit.  It seems very strange to me.  "Hey honey, we're eating at Joe's.  Can you grab that case of beer to take along?"   Weird.

**The storms here are way more intense than any other place I've lived.  The thunder is louder.  The lightening is brighter.  The storms are just crazy, and they always seem to take place in the middle of the night when you are trying to sleep.

**There is a red light camera at almost every intersection and light.  Someone in our household (who will remain nameless) doesn't really find it necessary to make a full stop when turning right on a red.  Shockingly, we've only got one $75 ticket so far.  Hopefully that's enough to kick the Ohio bad habit right out of him said person.

**In some (smaller) school districts you can still get spanked in school!  I had no idea this still existed.  It's called "getting a lick" and it can happen all the way up through high school.  This one girl said she "got a lick" her senior year.  Holy cow!  Who knew?

**The police in our town drive around in SUV's.  (No wonder the taxes are so high--can you imagine their fuel bill?).  The "constable" drives around in a police looking car.  What's a constable?

**In Ohio U-turns are illegal--always.  Here they are expected and necessary.

2 comments:

  1. BYOBs are awesome... cheaper alcohol for the customer, and the owner doesn't have to pay for/zone for a liquor license and all of the things that go along with selling liquor. Liquor licenses are beyond expensive! Byo's also tend to be better restaurants than the big chains. Check one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I student taught while I was at Evangel, spanking was acceptable--and done by the principal! I couldn't believe it! I bet the students are on point in Texas!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete