Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hospital Bag List?!?

Like I mentioned, I have been collecting an extensive "hospital bag" list for months now.  I realize every person is different, every birthing experience is different, and every hospital is different.  I'm trying to decide from this list what I really need to take, and what isn't really necessary.  I'm guessing that even those of you who read this will have differing opinions.  I'm just trying to come up with the best plan I can.

I've also read that it's best to have two bags--one for the actual labor and delivery room and then another for when you are moved to the patient room where you stay for a few days.  That way you can leave the second bag in the car and send your husband out to get it after you've been moved.  The thought process is that if something happens in labor and delivery (you have to have a c-section and get moved to the surgery room), your bag and other things aren't left unwatched, etc.  Some say to have a third bag-one for the baby.  I will bring the stuff for Olivia, but it will probably just end up in my bag.

Here is the list.  The pink is my commentary, the purple is where I have a question for you.

Labor and Delivery Room
  • lotion--for massage?  You are suppose to bring things that relax you.  Music doesn't relax me.  I like silence.  You can't bring candles, even though everything talks about aromatherapy.  The only thing I could think of was a hand or foot massage, and I don't even know if I'll want that.
  • my own pillow--some people said this makes it more comfortable.  necessary?
  • insurance card
  • ID
  • change for vending machine/cash--From the moment we check into Labor and Delivery, Michael gets 3 meals a day.  There are also rooms available for guests (and the spouse) that are stocked with free snacks.  Either way, bringing the extra change is easy and a good back up plan. 
  • snacks-- Like I just said, there will be snacks available. I'm just not sure what they are going to be.  This way, Michael can eat if he wants.  I've also heard that after birth you are starving, so having something immediately handy sounds good to me.  I'm not going to go overboard though.
  • gum-- because you can't eat, helps keep your mouth moist
  • hard candy-- did you guys use these?  I heard they aren't even allowed at some hospitals.  I'm not a huge hard candy person, so I'm not convinced I'll want these.  Thoughts?
  • water--because Frisco city water tastes like dirt!
  • slippers
  • socks
  • camera/charger
  • video camera--no, we are not video taping the birth... just for (maybe) before and definitely after
  • paper for baby book-- to make footprints... I heard it's better to get it done on scrapbook paper then to do it directly in the baby book.  Babies can be squirmy, so if it gets messed up they can just do it again.
  • notepad/pen-- I don't know--someone mentioned you may want this.  Mostly because it's hard to remember things, so you can write yourself notes if necessary.  Since I am a list kind of girl, I figured I might like having this on hand.
  • contacts/solution/glasses
  • magazine/book/other entertainment--Did you use these?  Some people use them because labor can be long and boring at first.  Then I heard others say they brought them but never used them.  I'm thinking skip it, but want to know what you think.
  • cell phone charger
Patient room after birth bag
  • towel--Yes, the hospital is suppose to supply towels, but word is they are small and scratchy and having your own towel is just an added luxury for that first after birth shower.
  • toiletries (deodorant, body spray, etc)
  • shower supplies
  • make up-- Yes, I am bringing my make up.  I will be in pictures.  I'm not going to look like a crazy in all of my first documented days with my baby. :)  You can think I'm loony if you want.
  • toothbrush/toothpaste
  • hair supplies--brush, blow dryer, curling iron--See make up answer! :)
  • nursing bra
  • sleep bra
  • nursing tank
  • yoga pants--My friend said this is a good idea because it keeps everything in place... if you know what I mean. (no shifting pads)
  • hoodie--hospitals can be cold?
  • nursing pajamas
  • granny panties--in case I don't love the mesh underwear as much as people say I will
  • going home outfit
  • robe
  • flip flops--for the shower?  not sure about this one... it's a hospital, shouldn't it be sanitary?
  • breast pads--some said hospital supplied it... some said they didn't, or didn't like the ones that were supplied to them.
  • nipple cream--same as breast pads.  I'm thinking of leaving this and the breast pads home.  I'll show Michael where they are, and if I find I need them, he can run home and get them.
  • laptop
  • clothes and shower supplies for Michael
  • extra bag (like the reusable grocery store ones) to bring home hospital supplies (all the extra after birth things they let you take) and gifts--I don't suppose we'll get many gifts in the hospital.  I don't think we'll have many visitors.  However, I've read that you should take everything they let you (you are paying for it anyway)--pads, mesh underwear, baby supplies, etc.
  • boppy/my breast friend
 For Baby
  • outfits for hospital
  • going home outfit (a couple in various sizes, just in case)
  • hair bows :)
  • blanket/swaddler
  • diapers--some people said that their hospital only had size 1 diapers and their baby needed newborn.  Have you heard of this?  This seems bizarre to me.  Shouldn't they have multiple sizes?!
  • other--other people took rash ointments, wipes, etc.  I'm just going to assume my hospital has it all
 Luckily, we live about five minutes from our hospital.  If Michael needs to run home for something, it won't be a problem.  Anything I'm missing?  Anything you think I should remove?

2 comments:

  1. We brought DVDs and we sure did use them! It took my mind of labor to laugh at some of my fave movies and TV shows (that are on DVD).
    I never used lotion--of course they provided the smelly good stuff in my hosptial and never got a massage, but that's just me. Never brought my own pillow, I guess I never paid attention...my mind was on other things then that!
    YES on the flip flops--YES.
    The hospital SHOULD provide you w/ diapers (and no they are NEWBORN, pampers)when you are there and (at least for me) I got to take all the diapers that were in the drawer (on the thingy the baby sleeps on!) and whatever else was in the drawer, suction, pacifiers, etc.
    I brought regular clothes to the hosptial, a nursing tank top, a light weight hoodie, work out pants, etc. I learned my lesson the first time around, gowns are not cute or comfortable!
    (and yes you will love the mesh underwear! I brought lots of those home w/ me, plus all the pads and ice packs! take IT ALL home, just ask!!!
    Sooo excited, she's coming soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, you shouldn't NEED outfits for the baby in the hospital, they will provide that for you, and our hospital actually provided a swaddler sack for us and we got to take it home, the only outfit we brought was the "going home" outfit...but doesn't mean you can't bring cute onesies while she's there, I just never thought to.
    and NO SHAME in makeup, I got full on ready when I was in labor and the pictures look better that way! ha! (and I think it just makes you feel better after all the ickiness birth can be!)
    I could go on...this part was always the most exciting for me, I knew the time was near and it just made me so excited!

    ReplyDelete