Thursday, May 26, 2011

Update from Doctor's Appointment

Well, it's official... I will NOT be having a JULY baby, but rather a JUNE baby.

When I got to the doctor's office, I was weighed and gave a urine sample as always.  Then the nurse came in and took my blood pressure.  It was 144/80!  Not good.  Last time it was 130/80 and that was considered "border line".  She had me lay down and said she'd be back.  Turns out she forgot about me while eating her snack (I swear my doctor's office is a mess!).  It was probably 10 or 15 minutes later when she came back.  That time my blood pressure was 100/72.  Much better!  She said that there was no protein in my urine, which is a sign of preeclampsia.  That was a good thing.  She said I might have to do some 24 pee test.  You put some cup thing on your toilet and catch your pee every time and save it in a jug.  Then you bring the jug in the next day.  Yeah, that didn't sound like fun.

Luckily when my doctor came in she said I would not have to do that.  She decided to have a preeclampsia blood draw done instead.  She asked how much I could lay around and rest while doing my job.  I told her that I have my feet up a lot since Little Man is at school for 3 hours and naps for 2.  Plus I put them up when he is playing.  I told her that I would be on vacation this next week and she said I had to lay around the whole time.  She apologized for ruining any plans but said that I basically could not do anything.  Great.  I'm so glad I got most of my shopping done!  The one thing I really wanted to do was cook meals to freeze.  Michael offered to do it (with my supervising from the couch), so that may end up being our plan b.  I am not officially on full blown bed rest, but she said it could come to that.  I'm hoping not just because of my job.  I know bed rest is boring, but I wouldn't care as much except I would be putting another family out.  We'll see.

Then she measured me and I measured 38 cm.  I said, "38?!?!?!"  She didn't seem too concerned at first.  I don't think she realized that I am only 33 1/2 weeks!!  She looked at the calendar and said, "Oh".  I am now going in on Tuesday for an ultrasound to check the size of the baby and also to make sure all of my fluid levels are still ok.

So just to recap--2 appointments ago I was measuring a half a week ahead.  1 appointment ago I was measuring 2 1/2 weeks ahead and this time I was measuring 4 1/2 weeks.  I am gaining 2 extra weeks every appointment!!  What the heck?  I haven't gained that much weight, so it must be all baby.  I don't feel huge.  I don't even feel like I look 38 weeks.  Nana and Papa arrived the other day and the first thing Nana said was "You still don't look that big".  I'm taking that statement to the bank! :)

My doctor looked at the calendar again and said we are scheduling an induction for June 28th.  She said they don't normally do elective inductions (for size, just because it could be wrong-and big baby doesn't mean fully developed baby), but she doesn't think my blood pressure issues are going anywhere.  She is labeling it a hypertension induction.  Of course, there is still a chance that I could go even before then if there was some blood pressure emergency.  By the way, my starting blood pressure was 108/70 something.

So I go in on Tuesday for the ultrasound.  Then I go back to the doctor on June 8th for my next appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment