Monday, May 9, 2011

31 Weeks


How far along: 31 weeks

Size of baby: for weeks 29 to 32 the baby is the size of a squash
Average size is 15.2-16.7 inches and between 2.5 to 3.8 pounds

Total weight gain/loss: +22.4

Maternity clothes: That is all I wear now.  One day I tried wearing an old pair of sweatpants to work.  As soon as I dropped Little Man off at preschool, I went home and took them off.  They were so uncomfortable on my belly.  Lesson learned!

Gender: It's a girl!  Olivia Grace is on her way!

Movement: I feel like her movement has decreased some this week.  Don't get me wrong--she still has her midnight dance parties.  One night Michael had his arm around me and could feel her moving around all the way from his hand (which was on my left side) to his arm (which was across the middle and my right).  He just kept laughing or saying things like "Man!" or "Whoa!" or "Wow!'.  Yeah.  That's happening inside me!!!  But during the day she has slowed down some.  I actually got worried one day, so I did a kick count.  I ate dinner, drank a cold glass of water, waited a half hour and then started counting.  She surpassed the ten kicks in an hour requirement, so I felt much better.  It's probably just that she is starting to run out of room.  It just threw me a little, because for the few weeks before this she has been on the move all day every day.

Sleep: It's been better! :/

What I miss: The freedom to bend over and pick something up!  I can still physically bend over, but it hurts my belly so I try not to.

Cravings: sweets, fruit--I'm glad the good stuff is coming into season

Symptoms: I think I've started nesting.  I decided one day that Michael's closet needed to be reorganized.  I hardly even go in there, but it was bothering me that I knew it looked like a mess.  We did that, and then that turned into an all out house cleaning.  I am also feeling the need to collect things I need for my hospital bag or items after birth.  This is causing me some anxiety.  There are so many unknowns--what size I'll need in nursing bras/tanks, etc.

Fun Purchases: I purchased chap stick and slippers for said hospital bag.  I also bought the Llama Llama books that are at Kohl's for $5 this month.  I love them and didn't have them, so I got them! :)

Surprises: There have been multiple incidents where pregnant woman have been around and I feel they are MUCH bigger than me.  Then I find out they are either due after me or at the same time as me.  I always figured I would gain all over, and I think I have to some degree.  I'm just amazed at how I look compared to others I guess.  To me, I still don't feel huge.  Don't get me wrong (as has been done from this blog before), I am NOT wishing to be huge.  I just always assumed with my family history (me, my mom, my grandma), that I would gain a ton and be very large.  I think I just expected in my head to be bigger at this point than I am now.  One lady at our life group is due two whole months after me and her belly looks big to me.  Of course, it's her second so that could have something to do with it.  We were sitting at the pediatricians office and this one lady looked to me like she was due within the next few weeks or so.  Then I heard her tell someone she's due July 11th.  That's the day after me.  I turned to Michael and said, "Do I look like that?"  He said, "Everyone is different'.  I said, "I know that, but do I look like that?"  He said no, he  didn't think I looked that big.  I just wanted to make sure that I was seeing myself as I really looked.  I'm sure in about five weeks I will be telling you all that I feel like a house! :)

Best Moment this week: We've had a lot of good moments this week!
1. Choosing a pediatrician.  Seriously.  It's a huge relief to check that off my list.
2.  Choosing a newborn photographer.  I had one that I fell in love with months ago.  She was pretty expensive (like most newborn photographers are), but I loved her style, props, ideas, etc.  I emailed her about two weeks ago and she said she will be traveling and not shooting at all for the whole month of July.  Honestly, I was heart broken.  I was SO set on her.  So that led me to looking and looking for a plan B.  There are a lot of photographers in our area, but I find the black and white pictures with a naked newborn on a plain blanket to be boring.  I wanted one that used backdrops and props and color.  Those type are much harder to find.  I finally found one that I liked and we are on the books!  YAY!  (and yay to my husband for agreeing to this... he thinks the cost is a little outrageous, but is willing to do it for me! :)
3. Having the 3D/4D ultrasound and getting to see Olivia again.  Also, getting the reassurance that she is still doing just fine.

Milestones: 9 weeks to go!  Um... hello! That's single digits!!!


We spent the weekend taking the child birthing class at our hospital.  Luckily, it's free.  I've heard some hospitals make you pay.  The class was from 9 to 3 both Saturday and Sunday.  A lot of what was taught I already knew, but some of it was new.  Of course, you can have a ton of information, but it's nothing like going through it.  I realize that.  Michael and I both walked away with the same feeling.  It wasn't life changing or super enlightening, but we are still glad we went ahead and took the class.  If nothing else, it was a refresher coarse on some of the things we've already read or heard about.

We will be taking the breastfeeding class on June 4th.  That is the one I'm looking forward to.  I'm hoping to gain lots of information.  I am committed to breastfeeding at least for the first sixth months (because of the incredible benefits for both me and the baby).  It is the one thing I'm most worried about.  I know it will not be easy, so any help I can get I will take.

We are also taking a baby care class on June 11th.  Originally I didn't sign us up for this, but then I thought we better.  We are more doing it for Michael since he has no first hand experience with infants.  While I have a lot of kid knowledge, have changed hundreds of diapers, given bottles, etc., I have never been in charge of a brand new baby.  Even though I have more confidence in this area than Michael, it will be good for both of us.  This class is going to teach things like diaper changing, burping, soothing techniques, bathing, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment